YouTube Red Unveiled

Discussion in 'Other' started by LeoIrish, Oct 21, 2015.

1. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/youtube-red-launches-ad-free-svod-netflix-1201623219/

I have to be honest, I have zero (or maybe even less than?) interest in this. In addition, I do not think this is going to have much interest for those 30+. Last but not least, as this really seems to be targeted towards teens and young adults, how much traction will they get? Unlike with the other paid services (ex: Netflix / Amazon / Hulu), there may not be an adult in the family willing to foot the bill. If that is the case, how many will actually have the money to subscribe each and every month.

Am I wrong?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Yeah I'm not getting their play here but Google always has something up their sleeve so I wouldn't be to quick to write this off. Just like all of the other services fighting to be king of the streaming media mountain, content is king. If they can get the right licensing deals and get shows as fast as Hulu without ads they win.

That's a tall order, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Google.

4. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I am not so quick to dismiss them - just questioning where are they going to get the dollars if the content focuses on the younger (teen / young adult) crowd without the disposable income. Personally, I hope they have success, I just question how easy it will be for them to get customers which passively agree to allow their subscriptions to renew each month.

5. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    I read an article yesterday that indicated that this was just a secondary source of income and that even if only a few percent of viewers subscribe it would be a huge financial windfall for them. I aslo got the impression that they were not satisfied sitting on there laurels and were planning on moving into additional content and competing head to head with Netflix and Hulu. I hope they do as I see more competition as a win win for consumers.

6. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I also found out if you subscribe to this, you get Play Music for free (and vice versa). Although that would not be enough to put me over the edge, it does give them a instant audience.

7. tiffaninichole

tiffaninichole Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    There is no way I'll EVER pay for YouTube. Honestly, they've been getting on my last nerve lately with all of these ridiculously excessive ads. Why am I not surprised that they now offer a paid service that is ad-free? No thanks. The way they're going about this is guaranteeing that they never see a dime of my money.

8. mrboo

mrboo Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ehhh. Youtube Red sounds like it would've been a good plan except for the fact that I think a lot of people that watch Youtube don't really have the extra money to spend on a subscription (or maybe I'm just that cheap/poor). I would be OK supporting the Youtubers by just sitting through more commercials rather than paying for Red itself. Just my 2 cents.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I pretty much like the concept of being able to play music while on lock screen mode and being able to watch content offline as well. I guess ten dollars is too much for just those benefits. Maybe they should have lowered it a bit.;p

10. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I would NEVER pay to watch Youtube, but that is just me.

11. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    If they are offering free music with it then I guess that helps. Although I think at that price it's still not enough value for the cost. Netflix offers way better content that is a lot more understandable to put behind a paywall, and on youtube you pretty much get amateur content made by people mostly just sitting in front of their computers. I think the price would be much more reasonable if it were halved.