Your longest Netflix binge session?

Discussion in 'Netflix' started by SLTE, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    If you have a Netflix subscription you've probably gone on at least one binge session, probably while watching a TV show. Which binge session of yours lasted the longest?

Mine was probably while watching Hannibal. My wife was out of town on business and I didn't have much work to do, so I plonked down and turned on the first episode one early afternoon. I'm pretty sure I didn't turn it off until the season was complete... and I'm pretty sure I watched three or four episodes of the second season after that as well. I don't want to do the math on that. Also, I was oddly hungry for meat throughout...

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    Probably has to be about....7 hours for me? I don't know what the standard is so I can't be so sure lol, but I'm sure I've spent a while on it at one point.

4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Generally speaking, I usually do not watch more than 1-episode of a specific show during a setting (and usually no more than 2 if it is a half-hour show). Why? Last year I burned myself out watching the first 2-seasons of Orphan Black on Amazon. It was so good, I wanted to watch the next episode. But, then it was done, and I had not watched anything else during that time-frame. Now, I force myself to switch back and for the between the four services I use (Netflix / Amazon / Hulu / Crackle). At least for me, I have found I enjoy the shows more if I do not just tear through them.

5. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Member

Feb 12, 2016
    I have only once went through a Netflix binge session. It ended up making me feel horrible and I ended making a lot of changes to my life. I'm just the type of person that has to differentiate my activities and not stick to one thing for hours. My wife on the other hand, just watched Netflix for five hours straight last night and she looked like a zombie when she came out of the room!

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    That last point is true of me as well. Storylines tend to blur and depreciate when I watch a single show at too long a stretch, and I have no doubt I miss out on crucial details. Particularly since I often do other things when I'm hardcore binging (clean, play video games, sometimes even do a bit of light work). You drink in more if you only watch one or two episodes of a given show at a time.

LeoIrish likes this.
  7. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    At most I'd say I watched around 4-5 episodes max. I tend not to go past that average because at some point it becomes too much for me and I know if I go on I'll just lose taste for the show and end up ignoring it for a while until I forget about it again, at which point I may have already forgotten certain plot points, so it's just not that appealing to me. For movies, however, I could watch up to three movies if I'm in that type of mood but it's very rare.

8. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I watched Jessica Jones all in one go, I think it was maybe 7 hours? The next thing I know it's 4 am in the morning and I'm crying my eyes out from the suspense of the ending. Can't wait for the next season if there is one. I'll watch Ritter in anything though since I saw her on Breaking Bad.

9. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Man, my wife and I couldn't watch that show in one go. David Tennant was too intense for her. We did two episodes a night at most.

Also completely forgot while watching Jessica Jones that she'd been in Breaking Bad. I certainly remember her character, though. The roles she plays are pretty danged grim.

10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I haven't had Netflix in a few years, but hope to have it back at some point. I know when I had it, I definitely went on a few binges, but I can't recall exactly which shows I binged on. I enjoy marathoning shows I like, particularly previous seasons, when a new one will be starting, so I can reacquaint myself with what's happened in the past seasons. Apparently I have somewhat of an addictive personality, but I guess binging on videos is healthier than some other activities I could engage in. I saw a post on my television screen last night about all of the seasons/episodes of The First 48 being available to stream on the A&E app, and it seemed they were challenging me. I might be up for that challenge.

11. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    The First 48 is one of those dangerous shows that you can throw up in the background and kind of pay attention to for long periods of time. My wife could sit and watch that show while she's on her iPad all day, I think, and not get tired of it.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Sons of anarchy for me. That's the only show on Netflix that I think I've watched a full series of all in one go.

The first few episodes I have to admit I struggled to get into, but after that I was hooked, and I think as soon as the last series was on, I sat and watched it from beginning to end. 10 episodes, an hour each...Not too bad.

Safe to say that nothing else got done that day!

DustnBones001 and Diane Lane like this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I know for sure I binge-watched SOA and also Army Wives. I had to watch some of the Army Wives episodes on Amazon, though. I have a wide variety of interests, and pretty eclectic viewing habits. If my viewing history was being watched by the government, they would probably assume there's a whole family here, rather than one person.

@SLTE I can sometimes do that, and watch The First 48 in the background, but if something catches my attention, I will go back and rewind and watch from the beginning, so I've learned on most of them to pay attention. I will sometimes leave HGTV or DIY Network on in the background while I'm working or doing chores because either I've seen the shows, or if they're my favorites, they're on my DVR waiting to be devoured.

14. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    ... oh wow. I misread your post and thought you'd watched the entire series in a single sitting. Ninety-one episodes. That would be the sign of someone who needs some help. Ten hours, though, yes, that's merely impressive.

pwarbi likes this.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I know I am a massive fan, but even I wouldn't be able to do that. 91 episodes at an hour long each...91 hours or round it up to 96 and call it four days straight, day and night? No, even I wouldn't do that...

You know what though, I bet there are people that do that kind of thing, just for the challenge. They'll brag and boast that they watched the entire season of 24 in one sitting, things like that.

DustnBones001 likes this.
  16. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I have no doubt they exist, yes, but I can't imagine you can do that sort of thing without a ton of preparation. Holiday time taken beforehand, perhaps, and lots of groceries to fall back on so you don't have to go out? I couldn't imagine watching a single show for that long a stretch regardless, all of the plot lines and characters would just ooze together and become an awful mess in my brain.

DustnBones001 and pwarbi like this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Oh you'd definitely have to be prepared and have a fridge full of beer and a stack of pizzas at the ready, haha.

As far as the actual show itself goes, I think I'd quite like the idea of watching a full season all st once instead of episode by episode, be just like watching one long film.

18. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    I watched 10 episodes straight of Daredevil Season 2 with very little breaks lol. Its rare for me to binge more than 4 episodes a day but I was just sucked in that day. Damn good season can't wait for the Punisher spinoff.