you saw me standing alone...

Discussion in 'Gaming Consoles' started by pwarbi, Mar 24, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    With the rise of next gen gaming, would anybody consider, or has anybody already got rid of their stand alone media streaming device and used a PS4 or XBOX ONE instead? Kind of a one box for everything type of setup...I've got a PS4 that's used strictly for gaming at the moment so was just wondering what sort of other service's people use ands how good actually ate they?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    SW Florida
    We started with the Xbox 360 as our streaming device, initially - only because that was all we had. Most of my stuff is streamed through PlayOn, Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, so typically the device doesn't matter much. I could swap out a PS4/Xbox/Roku/etc. for the other without missing a beat.

Except for the AppleTV. I hate that guy.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I've heard that the XBOX ONE is the better multimedia machine of the 2.
    Like I said i've got a PS4 at the moment and was thinking of getting an XBOX ONE to use for the streaming services, mainly just to tidy up a bit instead of having so many

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

Mar 25, 2015
    If you're looking for a console to use as a media center, then the Xbox One is a much better pick than a PS4, it was really built more for that rather than gaming, as opposed to the PS4...

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    That's what i was thinking, like I said I already had a ps4 but my thoughts were to get the XBOX ONE as well, its just the cost that puts me off, they're not exactly cheap.

I'm looking at other options I think first, other boxes to use solely for the streaming, Netflix, amazon and now TV etc before I decide.

7. JPB_003

JPB_003 Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I have an Xbox One and it is...alright. There is much left to be desired, but it gets the job done. It can get quite expensive with also buying a gold account, so keep that in mind.

The Xbox One has been having a lot of stuttering I have noticed also, so I don't know how long they are supposed to last.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    With the price of them I'd want them to last forever! Although I might be aiming a little high there!

And when you say stuttering, I'm assuming you mean disc based games and films? On my PS4 ive never even had a disc in it, all the films and shows are streamed and the games downloaded. Wether or not this will prolong the life of it only time will tell.

9. JPB_003

JPB_003 Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    When I say stuttering, I mean just using the console. Using the dashboard, changing programs, etc..

I don't know which last longer but I would assume the PS4. Microsoft products tend to not last that long.

The Xbox One is good for what it is, but I am actually a bit disappointed. If you can get it relatively cheap I would say get it.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I don't think either consoles have long life expectancy from what I've read.

My ps3's didn't seem to last all that long either if I'm honest but don't know if I was just unlucky.

11. JPB_003

JPB_003 Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I don't really know then honestly. I don't want to recommend something I don't personally use that often. I use my PC for most of my gaming and streaming so I don't know what would be best for you then. If you can, PC works great though.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I mainly use the PC for work. That's it...I've never really got into streaming or the gaming aspect of PC's, I've always been a PS4 fan when it comes to that.

For streaming on the TV I have a variety of wonderful gadgets and gizmo's and was just looking for one do it all box really.

13. johnfrack

johnfrack Member

Dec 12, 2015
    I use a ps3 for all of my streaming needs, usually just Netflix. However my family also has a fire stick for our upstairs, so we don't have to move the ps3, and since the fire stick is a fairly good price I would say it is worth it due to convenience.

14. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I use my PS4 for all of my streaming, mostly Netflix though.