You Have a $100 Budget. Do You Buy a Chromecast, Apple TV, or Roku 3?

Discussion in 'Media Players' started by freeranger, Feb 14, 2014.

1. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    I need to add a new device to a family room. This will generally be used by both adults and teens in the house so a wide range of tastes in entertainment. I'm not really biased towards either one so I won't list any cons, just the pros that I see in each.

ccf-roku-chromecast-appletv.jpg

Roku 3 ($99) - 1000's of channels. In fact the most of all of them so I'm thinking that translates to widest content selection. No?

Chromecast ($35) - Obviously the cheapest , and it's from Google so it is likely going to see some major improvements as Google moves into the space.

Apple TV ($99) - I'm not a total Apple iFan but I do have an iPhone and iPad. The Apple TV plays very nicely within the Apple ecosystem and it also has a pretty robust selection of content.

What would be your choice if your budget is only about $100?

NickSterling likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I would go with the Roku 3, it sounds like the most flexible of the bunch - supporting the widest amount of networks. Also, when all else fails it has a USB port on it that you can use to transfer movies and shows to your television set. Actually in some ways, this can be more convenient. If you are streaming from your laptop or desktop, you need to deal with syncing up and leaving those devices on as well. Alternately you can just copy all the stuff you've downloaded and want to watch on your TV onto a USB memory stick, then just plug it into your Roku box and watch them.

4. CordShifter

CordShifter Member

May 4, 2014
    Roku 3 is the choice from these three. So many channels.

In fact, the sheer amount of channels is the drawback as well. If you flood yourself with sub par channels, you will like it less.

cobywill likes this.
  5. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    This is true. One of the biggest appeals of the Roku is that they not only have "official" channels in the store, they also have hundreds of so-called private channels not visible in their store. While that sounds nice, there's a reason these channels aren't available in the store.

6. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I'd probably just buy an Apple TV. No one in my household owns an android so it's best since we get to take advantage of the ecosystem. I am thinking of getting an android phone soon though and if I ever did push through I'd probably consider a roku a lot more just because I am guessing integration with an Apple TV can't be that much better. I already have a chromecast which does work great on both and honestly at this point it is enough for me since I just want to watch some videos on my tv and I can use my device as a remote.

7. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I think anyone firmly in the Apple ecosystem should stick with the Apple TV. That being said, I will not purchase a streaming box which does not support one of what I consider a primary streaming service (in this case - Amazon). I watch too much on it, and them not being on there, regardless of the reason, will keep me from buying it.

8. NickSterling

NickSterling Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    1. Roku 3
    2. Chromecast
    3. Apple TV

9. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    1. Roku 3 (because you can watch Amazon and SlingTV)
    2. Apple TV (if you don't care about Amazon and SlingTV and do a lot of iTunes and/or Airplay from your iOS devices)
    3. Firestick (even though it's not on OP's list)
    4. Chromecast (never been a fan)

I have both a Roku 3 and AppleTV hooked up in my family room and I use the Roku over the ATV 80%/20%.

10. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    We have a Roku 3, and we really like it. That being said, everyone likes the Fire TV boxes we have (1-1st gen / 1-2nd gen) more. We find the interface to be just fine - and it is very fast.

We did have a Fire TV Stick, but it did not do well when casting PlayOn to it. PlayOn works very well on the Roku 3 and Fire TV boxes, but the stick does not seem to have enough power.

11. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    roku 3
    roku 3
    roku 3

In that order