Yahoo Loses $42 Million on ‘Community,’ 2 Other Original Series

Discussion in 'Other' started by LeoIrish, Oct 21, 2015.

1. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    http://variety.com/2015/digital/new...issa-mayer-narrower-product-focus-1201622483/

To be honest, I did not understand why they did not show a few ads (ex: Crackle) before and during the shows. I thought Sin City Saints was pretty funny - Other Space was ok - and I have yet to watch Community. Too bad if this is the end for them in "long-form" content as I thought they had a pretty good start. I would prefer to see a couple more competitors where they make the money from ads versus subscriptions.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Pabmart

Pabmart New Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I'm a great fan of Community, it is a really nice series, and it's a shame to hear about this. I agree that they should've shown some ads to get some money, because their content is pretty nice.

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Dan Harmon the creator of Community went off the show for a while then went back to it for this season on Yahoo and their content became wildly different so much so that the old fans were left scratching their heads. Community had it's run and they should've ended it when they were on top but they had to drag it out for the fans. I'd sacrifice quality over quantity any day.

5. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I loved this series and it is very upsetting to hear this.

6. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I still hope the other two (Sin City Saints / Other Space) will find a home with another service. Both were good enough to do well - I guess just not on Yahoo.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Oh my gosh, I've watched Community as well. I didn't know they're in this predicament. I hope they can end the show well if they choose to do so. Or at least revive it into what it used to be.

8. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I think they made the wrong move in purchasing community to carry their new network. I don't watch the show and from what I gather, it does sound like it's good and that it has many fans, but I don't think it's strong enough to make an impact, especially for a brand like yahoo that kind of has started to become like a joke similar to how myspace is seen since it was part of that era and now they are a little less relevant, so they have to make more of an effort because they have something to prove.

9. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I think grabbing Community was a good idea for what they wanted to do, they just did a poor job of executing whatever their plan was (finished season 1 not long ago - GREAT!). I really thought Yahoo had a chance to push themselves into the streaming scene, and should have with the content they had available before pulling back. Just bad execution / planning on their part.

10. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Stinks that they are in this predicament.

11. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015