Would you sign up for a cable tv package if it were a sweet deal?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by freeranger, Feb 17, 2014.

1. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Or are you against signing up for any cable tv package on principle? I ask because I'm hearing rumors about a little known 20-25 Mbps internet, local cable channels, Streampix, and HBO for $39.99. Don't know about you but I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the deal is from Comcast of all companies and it's not advertised anywhere. You have to call for it.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Well I'm just not a fan of cable tv anymore in general, so you can count me as one of those haters who wouldn't sign up on principle alone ;)

That being said, I've heard about this deal. It's a 12 month promo. It's been advertised before and the screenshots I've seen in articles written about it say 1 year in the fine print. No mention of what you get after that.

4. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    It's not so much the principle. For me and I'm not alone it's the fact that cable tv really has nothing entertaining to offer me anymore.

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah I feel the same as Coby does. I find myself more often online and my TV shut off more than anything. Television has become that boring to me along with the proliferation of commercials I can't stand and I only flip it on to watch 2-3 of my favorite shows, see a bit of news, or to play games or watch stuff on Netflix, then back off it goes.

I have to say that $39.99 is still costly for that and imagine the cost after the added taxes and other strings they attach. Also I wonder how much internet usage you get with that bundle.

6. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I'd do it if they offered it to me for free but i don't watch much television anyway so it wouldn't have a huge impact on my life. They call me every now and then to sell me the cable package, i just tell them i don't have a TV otherwise they spend ages on the phone trying to convince me to sign up.

It's an overseas call centre but i still don't want to be rude and slam the phone down. The guy on the phone was saying 'are you going to buy a TV'? I just say no because i don't watch TV and therefore don't need one.

7. Maarten

Maarten Member

Jun 7, 2014
    There is nothing on cable I watch.... and even if there was a few channels I would like, there is no way to get a cable package without paying the "sports tax", which is basically the $10-15 your local sports channels will costs and ESPN.

8. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    I was out of state last week, and my wife and I for the first time had cable available to us. What did we watch? A whole mess of shows that have been on Netflix forever. It's nice to have curated content sometimes, just to fight indecision, but unless I could get a really good deal in the $20-$30 range (forever) and in HD I'm OK without cable. And since it's unlikely that there will ever be such a plan, I don't have to worry about it. I've tried USTVNow, but some of the channels come in so poorly it's not worth spending money for, in my opinion. Not only that, but it's not even your own local channels, unless you're in Harrisburg, PA.

9. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    No I would not go with this, because by the time they are done tacking on all their hidden fees - and you know there will be plenty of them - you're going to be right back up to about $70-$80 per month if not more. That $39.99 likely does not include the cost to "rent" their DVR box and other equipment, it likely doesn't include the ridiculous taxes they throw on Cable, and it probably doesn't include any of the vague extra service fees Comcast themselves tack on. It's the old bait & switch, they'll tell you $39.95 on the phone, hurry you through some confirmations and agreements, then your first bill arrives and it's way higher than you were expecting.

Instead I would rather purchase my own equipment, and only pay one flat standard rate for internet access from some internet provider.

10. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    SW Florida
    Sure! I'd go back for a sweet deal. But you'll have to define sweet deal.

Let me buy my channels individually and I'll pay you a few bucks a month. That's a pretty sweet deal, imo.

11. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    We still subscribe to TV service. Only because my mother is old school and wouldn't like messing around with a Roku. I do enjoy some shows on USA and TNT but probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy a season of them through Amazon or something like that.

We're paying just shy of $200/mo for TV with HBO, Showtime, and a whole house DVR, the fastest internet available, and phone service. The HBO/Showtime I wouldn't bother with but it was a package deal. I think we have a decent price vs features tradeoff with this package..

If it were up to me I'd just have internet though. Next time TWC ups the price the DVR is going out the door. I do record a lot of stuff but wind up deleting a before watching due to a lack of storage.