WiFi Sharing

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Mockingbird, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    I have read a few threads where people are saying that they either share a wifi with someone else or they allow someone else to share theirs. I am wondering if there is any danger beyond the slow down that might happen if you both use it at the same time.

Correct me is I am wrong but both users would show the same IP right? Has anyone that does this ever had a problem because two households have the same IP? I have noticed that there are things that I log into at work don't want to let me log on to them easily from home, I get some crazy message they don't recognize the machine or some non-sense. Does things like this happen more often if you actually share a service?

I would think in this day and age people are mobile and log into stuff from all different places, but I do know IP addresses are still pretty important in some platforms. Just a crazy thought but what if your neighbor hated you, opened a free email and sent something to someone else that was awful- it would look like you and ultimately you would be responsible as the owner of that IP wouldn't you? While I am sure no one would give someone that hates them that sort of access I do wonder what sort of bad things could happen from sharing a network.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I let my neighbor use my WiFi as he only uses it with the Roku so it hasn't been an issue. He doesn't even have a computer.

A few years back I let another neighbor use my WiFi for a couple years. Never asked them for a dime. It turned into a whole rigmarole when I cut them off. I got a gun pulled on me over WiFi -- over freaking Wi-Fi ridiculous! Cops had to get involved and everything. I'll never do that again.They swore up and down they only used it for checking email and job searches which I knew was BS because not to long after they got on my network my Skype conferences were cutting in and out and I never had before. Checking you email and searching for jobs isn't gonna affect my Skype conference on a 20mbps connection. I upgraded my speed but then thought why should I be paying extra to have their dead weight on my network.

Long story short. I switched to DSL when I moved out of the house for a while and told them that DSL couldn't handle them on the network. That was true the DSL connection was slow as molasses but was good enough for me to check in on my websites and email when came home for a visit. When I moved back home I changed back to cable. The cutoff nieghbors seen the installer here and thought they were entitled to use my internet again and it was a whole big thing. 'Tards.

They wound up using another neighbors Wi-Fi for a while until they had a falling out it. It turns out the reason they were slowing my connection down is because the husband was always on XBox Live. I figured it was something like that all along but they lied to me the whole time. I should have sniffed the traffic, gotten proof, then cut them off, but I really didn't have the energy for all that.

If you do share Wi-Fi my advice is:
    • First and foremost make sure you're neighbors aren't entitled little turds. They should be thankful for you sharing with them.
    • Make sure they aren't downloading anything illegitimate (music, movies, etc) because you own the account whatever happens on that IP address is your responsibility.
    • If possible isolate them to a secondary WiFi network. Some routers have a guest WiFi feature that broadcasts a separate SSID (Network name) and password that allows access to the internet but not to your home network.
    • Make sure you aren't running shared services on your network. If you are disable them or make sure you don't care if they see your photo, video, or music collection. Windows 8 (maybe Windows 7 too) automatically lets anyone on your home network view movies, photos, and videos via DNLA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance). This is how your Roku automatically sees your computer and can play content from your computer without any additional setup.
    • Set some limits. Let them know if they start affecting your ability to use your connection to your satisfaction that they'll have to get their own connection.
    • Lastly, charge them something for it. Whether you split the bill or they agree to drag your trash cans out to the curb every week - don't do it for nothing. When you do it for nothing some people feel entitled to it and that can cause problems in the long run as it did with me.
    Just my .02

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    When I did share with my next door neighbors, none of us had an issue with speed. I would mainly use theirs for streaming a movie or two at night, due to my connection issues from the router being upstairs, while she primarily conducted business w/her photography/graphic art business. They were decent, hard working folks, so I wasn't concerned about legal issues, and they felt the same, but I can see where there might be issues, especially if there wasn't a strong friendship/relationship.

At a previous address, I would do like Big Dan suggested, regarding compensation. I would use my neighbor's connection, and would house/cat sit for her, during her frequent business trips, and that worked for us both.

Big Dan likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm not a very sharing person. I'm not working 50 hour weeks and spending my he'd earned cash on super fast internet, just so my lazy, pot smoking, jobless cretin can borrow half of my download speed, not a chance. Password encrypted, pin coded and distance limited. Its my WiFi, my money...if they want to check their emails they can go to the library!

Big Dan likes this.
  6. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I am in college so I am on the school's wifi which is used by thousands of students. It actually has pretty good speed too!

7. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I would personally never share my wifi for security reasons. I do not want others - even people I like - on the same network my computers are on. Yes, I have good firewalls, but being on my network automatically gives you better access than before. Also, I have a very strong password which references nothing personal, and I would really hate to put use a weaker password / give the current one to another.

Call me a bit paranoid, but there are too many people who do too many stupid things. If the mistake happens in my house, I have a much better chance of correcting it quickly versus if someone from the outside does it.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I found out a while ago that since I'm an AT&T customer, I have access to their wifi hot spots. I haven't utilized them to date, but I'm glad to know I have the option, especially in the event of a major storm that might take down our neighborhood services. That has happened before, so isn't out of the realm of possibilities, and there are a few spots not too far away where I'd be able to access the wifi, so knowing it's available to me gives me a little peace of mind.