Why should I get Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by dieselfit, Nov 28, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfit Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I've never been interested in Apple TV, I mean NEVER. I've heard of it, never seen it in action. I might have seen a few commercials for it but never really got the chance to try it out. Am I missing out on a great deal of enjoyment or am I just lucky to not spend the money on Apple TV?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mevsthor

mevsthor Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I have used both Apple tv and Roku, and I like them both. A few reasons for getting Apple tv would be that you have access to tons of free content. You can watch youtube via Wifi connection, that alone is better than regular tv. Another thing I liked about the Apple tv is the ease of setup. All you have to do is plug an hdmi cable from your tv to your Apple tv and go through a three minute setup and you're done. If you want more information on it you can Google "Apple Tv" and you should get the Apple tv page where it will list much more features. I think the main selling point for me would be how easy it is to use.

4. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharli Posters

Dec 7, 2013
    Washington, DC
    I don't know, Apple TV seems pretty darn convenient for me. Especially for large flat screen TV's. Apple TV let's you stream from all streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) But game systems do as well. So I don't have a real reason to give you other than that it's small, portable and convenient.

5. sillylucy

sillylucy Posters

Nov 27, 2013
    I haven't used Apple TV at my own home, but have heard good things about it from friends. The only thing I would suggest is if you are trying to save money to use Roku instead. It does the same thing for less.

6. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharli Posters

Dec 7, 2013
    Washington, DC
    I've heard of Roku, but haven't experienced it personally. Does it really provide same results/experience as the Apple TV? What's the price difference?

7. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I would go for a game system set up as it has a whole lot more going on for it and it offers a whole lot more entertainment to be honest. I am not really convinced about apple tv and it seems like the cord has not completely been cut if you have apple tv.

8. iagirl

iagirl Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Does Apple TV going to let you add local tv streaming apps? Most of my tv time is when I have time. The shows I want to watch I normally stream off of the apps on the iPad. If I could stream from an Apple TV I can free up my iPad of other uses. Yes I'm a multi tasker by necessity.

9. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I have heard of Apple TV quite sometime now but don't really know how it actually works. I thought it is like a modem that connects to the TV using the wifi, then I'm able to select any TV channels to watch my favorite shows and movies. I will see how it work in order to find out whether or not I like it the way I have expected.

10. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    Apple TV is a streaming media player just like Roku, Boxee, Western Digital, etc. it's basically a computer with limited function. It's main purpose is to stream shows and movies to your TV from a variety of sources such as Netflix, Hulu, iTunes Store, and more. You cannot access local programming from the Apple TV itself. For that you need an over the air antenna or a cable subscription. And by local programming I'm referring to your local ABC, CBS, NBC affiliated stations.

11. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    Unless your local station has an app and you'd have to make sure it's compatible with Apple TV as all apps don't necessarily carry over between the iPad, AppleTV, iPhone, etc