Why I hate iTunes, and you should too

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by AresBlade, Sep 21, 2014.

1. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    This article from TIME lays it out there pretty accurately. I'm not a real hater of iTunes, but his points are definitely valid, and there are much easier and smaller management programs out there. It would be nice if Apple offered an option that wasn't so bloated.

http://time.com/money/3380348/u2-itunes-backlash/

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    LOL, I love that quote, click the sync button and there goes the afternoon, it's the price we have to pay for the integrated solution Apple offers, it takes time, but I am pretty sure they are working on that.

4. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I'd like for you to be able to turn on and off features you don't want to use to cut down on the massive footprint of the software. If it didn't have to look at every aspect of iTunes to determine if you want to sync any of that stuff, it would probably be a much cleaner product.

Gelsemium likes this.
  5. SuperiorCallz

SuperiorCallz Member

Sep 22, 2014
    That's a great article and I definitely agree with the iTunes and iPhone sync problem. It can be quite annoying.

6. Gelsemium

Apr 6, 2014
    Yeah, customizable sync will be a good advance, but than again, being Apple we are talking about I think they will make it happen soon enough.

7. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    First, let me admit that I am not great at computers. Second, I'll admit to extreme laziness. But, iTunes does jam up the works for me, and I don't even hit the sync button often at all. I have an old laptop and my iPhone may actually have more available memory. But, it still launches the program every time I plug my iPhone in to charge the battery from my computer or import pictures. Also, it has been loading a calculus lecture from two years ago in the background every time iTunes starts. I really do not need to relive the nightmare that was calculus every day, but I am either too inept or too lazy to fix the problem. I love iTunes on my phone- just not on my computer!

8. Gelsemium

Apr 6, 2014
    I think that most people are like you Amanda, but when we find something that works we just stick with it. So, not hitting the sync button really looks like a good option! :p

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I don't have any major problems with Itunes. I find it to be the best music store out there. Unparalleled selection and pricing. Good sound quality. Not much to complain about on my end. The syncing problem can definitely be annoying, though.

10. loonshine

loonshine Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I did not have a problem for iTunes for my iPod, but if I had the silly notion that I could use this as a media player on my computer, this was shot down a long time ago. If I ever moved one of my music file in my folders, the iTune library could not find it anymore and my playlists just crashed. It was so much time wasted!

11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I've found Itunes to be a pretty reliable music player. Ive never had any major problems moving files from other locations to Itunes. If I had, I'd be really ticked off.

12. Cloverz

Cloverz Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Malaysia
    I agree 100%. iTunes is way too cluttered and filled with stuff we don't need. I think Apple tried to implement too much. I know several new users who gave up because of how confusing the interface has become.

I know this is shameless of me, but I prefer using "Media Monkey". Way less cluttered. It also allows me to create playlists and sync music to my iPod easily. :)

13. ElfPrincess

ElfPrincess Member

Nov 21, 2015
    I've always disliked Apple (and Steve Jobs), so I'm always happy to see people see through their propaganda.
    Itunes has always been completely useless for me. If I never heard again about iThings, it would still be too soon.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  14. Pabmart

Pabmart New Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I don't have any Apple devices, but I use iTunes a lot, mainly because the music store is probably the best one out, I have all my library in there and I've never had a problem.

15. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Even when I owned an iPhone, I hated iTunes. It has always run terribly on every computer I've had. I have been met with nothing but issues from it. I also hate the fact that you have to go through them in order to put music on your phone. It's the most frustrating thing on earth. This article hits the nail on the head.

16. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I have never had an issue with iTunes, just really no reason to make use of it. I know several people who purchase / rent quite a bit via iTunes annually, and it seems to work quite well for them.

Now that I have gone further into this mindset of saving money, I have not purchased or rented a movie in over a year. This even holds true for Amazon - which I really like - and we as a family make pretty good use of all of the Prime benefits available. Instead, we just wait for movie to either become available via one of the streaming services or the library.

17. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm in the same boat as you. I can't remember the last time I rented a movie. Even Redbox isn't something I like to do because I can just order a movie through Netflix for one price a month.

Itunes hasn't given me many issues, but moreso created a hassle for me. I hate the licensing behind everything.

18. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I have never been a fan of Itunes and this information just reaffirms this.

19. Rob

Rob Active Member

Jan 16, 2016
    After reading all that was said here I believe you all have convinced me not to 'upgrade' to an iphone. My daughter has been telling me for years how much easier iphones are and how I need to change but you guys don't make it sound easy at all.

20. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Yup, I can't even remember the last time I had my iTunes updated. Or let alone, opened iTunes in my laptop to sync new music to my phone. Good thing that there are apps now that let you play music even without iTunes. There are also apps now that let you stream music so you won't have to download them. No need for iTunes anymore, at least for me.