Why HULU is terrible.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by sidd230, Mar 1, 2014.

1. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    I agreee, but my wife needs the "living room experience". I was doing it with a media server and transcoding the live streams, but its a hassel. I'm using an Apple TV3 which isn't compatable with XBMC which would eliminate alot of the scripting I did on my own. Once I get a XBMC server going I will most likely drop Hulu.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jason86

jason86 Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    I like Hulu+. I watch a lot of TV shows and like that you can get the full back catalogs for many shows. I watch/listen to them while I do work or clean. The commercials don't bother me because they're relatively short. I used to pay for it every month but now I get a free subscription through bing rewards.

4. loonshine

loonshine Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I wonder what is so special about Hulu -- I mean, it's only available in the US, whereas Netflix and Amazon Prime are growing and spreading to other countries. Surely if Hulu was this good a service, it would consider the same sort of expansion? Or is it related to the affiliation to comcast someone mentioned earlier?

5. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Having ads on a paid streaming service is just ridiculous. I'd rather pay another buck a month just to not have to waste my time watching ads. They need to learn a thing or two from Netflix if they plan to be around for a longer time.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Based upon of the reviews on this site and others I definitely wont be picking up Hulu any time soon. Ive seen a ton of people bashing it. I'll stick with Amazon Prime and NetFlix.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    Other than Netflix, what better streaming options are there? I have never tried Hulu, but have had Hulu Plus for quite a while now. I have several channels, including a few paid options, through Roku, and access others online, but Hulu Plus is always the one that I turn to when I run out of things worth watching on Netflix. I have trouble finding my way around Hulu Plus, or I think I'd use it more often. I know that my wife uses Hulu Plus more often than she does Netflix, particularly for watching television series. I prefer movies, but there are plenty of them, too.

Could it be better? Certainly, they all could be better. I don't like their policy of making series available for a severely limited time. Often, by the time I realize they have are carrying a series, the first few episodes are no longer available, so I have to look for them elsewhere, in order to catch up. But, for all of its problems, Netflix is the only one I've seen that beats it. Amazon Prime is good for about a week, after which I've seen everything they have and have wait a few years for them to add something new.

8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    There is no reason they should be subjecting paid subscribers to all the commercials they shove down free users throats - that is straight up baloney. In fact, they need to tone down their commercial time overall, it's worse than Cable TV sometimes. I'm surprised the FTC hasn't threatened to crack down on them for false or purposefully misleading marketing. Most people would assume they would get commercial free programming like Netflix for their subscription fees. To make matters worse, Netflix lists a lot of shows that they simply don't provide at all - regardless if you are a paid or free user. For example, I used to watch Chelsea Lately each evening, and they had it listed on their site, but no episodes were available. So when I subscribed I figured I would be able to start watching them there, but yet again there were no episodes, just a listing that the show exists. If you try and watch their show segments, they often cut them off before the segment is even done, and go straight into a several minute commercial break again.

9. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I'm no sure how old this thread is but I've never had a problem with Hulu. I think there are some wild misconceptions though. First of all, with HuluPlus (paid service) there are barely any commercials.

I count about 2 to 3 minutes total worth of commercials in your standard 30 minute program. That's FAR FAR less than cable. which is usually 2-3 minutes worth of commercials per commercial break, usually culminating in about 9-10 minutes total worth of commercials. I will admit there are a couple of shows that I've seen with more but that's a result of the network and it's still significantly better than regular TV. I'm thinking people who see a lot of commercials on Hulu are using the free version.

I also think there is this false equivalency being made between Hulu and Netflix. Netflix and Hulu specialize in two different types of content. Netflix is more for movies, and while it does have tv shoes, they are typically either syndicated shows no longer on the air, or if they are current shoes they are still a season or more behind. Hulu specializes in TV content and particularly current shows. It's a lot easier to provide commercial free content when the content is old and not on the air currently. It costs less for Netflix to obtain it. Where as Hulu is acquiring licensing primarily for current content which is a lot trickier and pricier. Plus Hulu content is being controlled and regulated by the content owners (i.e. they are determining what can be shown, how long it can be available, and in some cases commercials).

Netflix just buys content in bulk from content providers for a specific period of time and then they do whatever they want with it. Again, this is because they aren't dealing with any current shows (except their own original content).

So they're two entirely different models with two separate goals.

If you want to be able to watch movies, older shows, previous seasons of shows, etc... and basically binge watch. Netflix is designed for that. If you want to be able to keep up with the latest shows and watch latest episodes basically on demand whenever you want, Hulu is designed for that.

I also think Hulu gets this bad wrap because unlike Netflix, there is a free web based version of Hulu that anyone can use and watch on. It has way more commercials and way less content, and people think that the paid version offers the same (or similar) experience just on your television. HuluPlus has much more content and far fewer commercials. I've also never had an issue with the quality of HuluPlus on my TV, unless you're watching older shows which just weren't produced in HD so they're not available in HD. But other than that, the quality has always been great for me on my Roku.

I had Netflix for a couple of years before getting HuluPlus so I definitely know why people love Netflix so much, but after I cut the cord, i got Hulu too and it's just really enriched my experience. Together they make the perfect package for us.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I had Netflix for years, and I know what you mean. Towards the end, I noticed they had started limiting the time frame on some of the good content. I don't have it right now, since I have 'cable', but will probably go back to it soon, and am considering Hulu-Plus, as well. Has Netflix got an option to notify by email when new content is available? That's something I will probably ask them about when I sign back up, because I think it would be helpful, since I often didn't notice new content when it first arrived, because I was mainly focused on the shows I typically watched.

11. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA

12. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've wondered whether hulu still existed, or whether there was only hulu-plus nowadays, because all I hear mentioned is hulu, and I wasn't sure if the 2 had combined. I would definitely be interested in hulu-plus, and most likely Netflix, also, since I'm somewhat familiar with that, from using it in the past. Less commercials sounds amazing to me. I'm tired of the constant interruptions. Some of the breaks are so long, it really interferes with story lines and continuity. Thanks for writing a post that summed up what I was wondering and answered my questions. I have pretty much made up my mind that when I do cut the cord, I'll be using Hulu-plus, and when I saw the thread title, my heart sank, but I'm glad to hear that it sounds like a positive alternative!

13. kh6912

kh6912 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Hulu is pretty good for kid shows, simply because of the lack of ads. I do think that if you're paying for it, there shouldn't be any ads. Even though they're less frequent and shorter than regular TV commercials, they're still a pain. Netflix is a great alternative, as is Amazon Instant Video if you're a Prime member.

14. rightct

rightct Active Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I've had a lot of issues with Hulu lately, and I think I will go back to Netflix because of the inconvenience they caused me. The fact that Hulu isn't available anywhere in the world but in the US doesn't really bother me for the moment, but it could in the future when I will need to travel outside, whereas Netflix has a lot of coverage especially in Europe; and it seems more reliable nonetheless, I don't see any other PAID - which for every sane human means premium - service displaying friggin' ads to their customers. It's amazing how such a company that has got to some extent of reputation makes amateur mistakes, it's unbelievable, really.

15. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Netflix is like buying access to DVDs or for television shows DVD box set long after the season or sometimes the show ends. Hulu is giving you access to television shows that are airing now and are new. It's a different level of content. New content is more expensive. Amazon instant Video is actually the proof of this.

There are many shows that you can get with Amazon Instant Video as they come out, same as Hulu, but you have to pay per episode (for the privilege of having commercial free content. So instead of paying $8 a month for a Hulu subscription that gives you access to a bunch of different shows... but with limited commercials, you'd be paying $2 to $4 per episode for every single new show you want to watch on Amazon Instant Video. So it adds up. (Keep in mind Prime member gives you access to a very limited set of free content and most of it is older especially television stuff. Everything else you pay for.)

For example, you can't get the latest episodes of the Blacklist on Netflix until after the season ends so your choices become...wait until near the beginning of Season 3 (when the DVD box set of Blacklist Season 2 comes out) to watch Season 2... watch it as their air on Hulu for $8 a month, or pay Amazon Instant Video $2, or $3 per episode to watch it... now take in consideration all the other shows that you also want to watch and add it up and that assumes all the shows you want to watch you can get on Netflix only one season behind. There are a lot that you can't.

Also there are other services that are paid for that have adds. Cable has adds, Sling has ads, Lots of services that we pay for entertainment have ads... even movie theaters. We pay for movies in a theater and are forced to sit through ads.

Netflix gets away with no ads because of how it gets its content which, for the most part, is long after other services have already gained access to it. It's not a bad thing, I have Netflix. But because they buy their content after the "premium" period ends, they can get it for a lot cheaper and serve it with no ads. They have to because no one would want to pay for Netflix and still get ads on a show that's almost a year old now. (It would be like if we had to pay for Crackle).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    rightct and Diane Lane like this.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    There's nothing really that bad about hulu (except for the ads) but there really isn't a reason that would make you choose it over the other competitors.
    I like Netflix, I've been using it for a very long time and I just can't justify why I would pay for hulu instead of it.

17. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    I have Hulu Plus and yes, I don't like the commercials, but since I save money cutting out the cord, I just have to tolerate it. I like it for the television series that I get to watch the next day. I could also watch it on the website, but I prefer the bigger screen!

18. elrjlr

elrjlr Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I don't mind Hulu. I love that I'm not paying an outrageous price for cable and can watch all the new episodes I love the next morning. The ads don't bother me. I've always thought they were shorter than all the commercials that you get with cable. I know that there are some stations that you have to pay more or have a subscription, like CBS, but I just wait for them to come to Netflix or I watch them from their network site. We've never had a DVR option in our house because I've never wanted to pay for it, so I don't know what I'm missing and don't mind being patient through the ads. I've never had an issue with the quality either.