Why HULU is terrible.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by sidd230, Mar 1, 2014.

1. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    I mean its probably the worst streaming service out there. Even worse than the like of Comcast. Compared to Netflix the streaming quality is rubbish, and commercials? Really? Commercials in everything

Netflix isn't perfect, but it doesn't have commercials. That is the only reason I have Netflix.

Hulu+ is a waste of money . No fewer advertisements, no better ad targeting, no higher quality streams, and just not enough perks for paying.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Yeah i do not think that i have ever really been impressed with hulu. There is a big compromise in quality for me that i cannot ignore a lot of the time. I cannot really complain though be cause i get to watch the things that i want. But no doubt they are not really giving me what i need to the highest standards.

4. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    The worst part is that they require a cable subscription for access to a lot of shows. They are partly owned by Comcast.

5. HattoriHanzo

HattoriHanzo Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Well i can relate to the Quality issue.

My Girlfriend and i use it for Newer shows and it's the service that we use the most.

Never had image troubles.. The ads are not a problem for us.
    And you can get it cheap using gift vouchers that you find on e-bay.

6. Jory

Jory Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Definitely horrible quality. Looked like I was using an SD monitor and not an HD LCD.

7. Rusky

Rusky Posters

Apr 11, 2014
    There's really no reason to subscribe to Hulu when there are much better streaming options out there if you ask me. Even if you want some of their exclusive content, and I can't think of any worth it, there are better ways of getting it.

8. HattoriHanzo

Apr 2, 2014
    Any chance you could share the options ??

9. Rusky

Rusky Posters

Apr 11, 2014
    A combination of Netflix and Amazon Prime is doing me well enough right now. And, if you were so inclined, there is always the oppurtionity to download your shows from...certain sites. But obviously I do not condone this.

10. HattoriHanzo

Apr 2, 2014
    Prime is not a service i will renew.. i have it and i am disappointed, using it on iPhone to airplay the content on my ATV. The quality is obviously not great.

And the interface is a mess.

The only thing for me that makes prime kind of ok is the show "Workaholics".

I think that people are to harsh with Hulu they have some good and sometimes unexpected content.

11. CordShifter

CordShifter Member

May 4, 2014
    I have been a Hulu+ subscriber a few different times! and never really used it. This last time, I got it because I heard they had House Hunters for my wife. Turns out you can watch it on PC only. So I cancelled again.

12. J3NN4

J3NN4 Member

May 7, 2014
    I don't think Prime is necessarily good as a service to watch shows or movies. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of shopping on Amazon and want that free 2-day shipping, it's not really worth it. It's just an added bonus for me. It does have a lot of good shows, though, and the quality has been better for me than Netflix was.

13. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    I like Hulu- to an extent. My fiancee and I only watch streams through our Roku, so it's nice to have new episodes ready for us the next day without having to pay or use several different apps, and I enjoy the fact they have the Criterion Collection movies on there. However, Hulu does not play well with our Roku. Sometimes it's a pain just to pause something, and it'll often overwhelm our Roku to the point it just resets. So, it's a pretty nice service, but if they ever raise the price I think we're out.

14. Lasershark

Lasershark Posters

Apr 6, 2014
    I use hulu occasionally. For the price its alright, but no way would I pay anymore for the relative quality you get.

15. scottguy

scottguy Member

Jun 3, 2014
    I had never really thought about it like this, but I definitely agree-- Hulu is convenient sometimes for watching current shows, but aside from that I really dont know that I would ever really choose it as my number 1 streaming place. The ads are SO excessive and although it's slightly better than network TV, it really feels like something that should go away when you buy the full version. I understand the point of advertising but I actually think in a lot of cases it's what pushes someone towards watching a TVRip of it elsewhere online, you know? They don't give enough incentive to watch it legally, I guess.

16. Amenokaji

Amenokaji Active Member

Sep 14, 2014
    The one thing I like about Hulu is that they actually have a really large selection of popular Korean dramas but the amount of ads on the service does suck, and ontop of that, it seems like paying for it isn't even worth it! you still get ads, what kind of crap is that?t that aside I haven't had much of an issue with it. Just the ridiculous amount of ads, if I wanted that many ads I would have regular cable.

17. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I've become spoiled by Netflix. I don't like all of the ads on Hulu Plus. I do like to watch newer shows. But, I can wait. If necessary, I can buy a season of a TV show used on eBay and then sell it back as soon as I'm done. I have had trouble with the quality on Hulu Plus. Some days, it would not even work on my PC. Some of that may be my internet connection, but Netflix would work just fine on the same days.

18. SuperiorCallz

SuperiorCallz Member

Sep 22, 2014
    I've heard really bad things about Hulu, specifically the commercials, although I haven't really tried it for myself, so I don't think I can judge. I think I'll stick to Netflix unless I really feel the need to use Hulu for some reason. :)

19. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    [SIZE=10.5pt]We use HULU for next day viewing. I've been playing around with DVRs a bit lately, and If I decide to keep one then Hulu is obsolete. The issue I'm having is to make the DVR optimal, you usually need a subscription to a guide so you can program the DVR. Considering a DVR is $200 to start with I'm torn. With Hulu I get next day on certain Network shows for $7.99 /month. With a DVR I have a $200 startup price, then a $5 a month guide subscription. Or I can pay $350 for the DVR and a lifetime guide. My concern is that so much can change in technology in 3 years, that I'm not sure I want the lifetime guide. Maybe I'll make a DVR thread.[/SIZE]

whofan likes this.
  20. whofan

whofan Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Memphis TN
    I was never impressed with HULU from the beginning. I waited about a year after trying it the first time thinking they would work out some of the kinks, but again was sorely disappointed. The streaming quality of the videos are a joke. I thought perhaps that I was having problems with my internet at first, but a quick check showed me it was just there service that sucked. The commercials are the worst. Every few minutes you get a new one or the same one on repeat with no way to get past it. There has to be a better way. I just wish they would realize it.

21. TimW

TimW Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    My issue is that I've never found something "next day" on Hulu that I couldn't get from going directly to the broadcaster's website. Both have commercials. Neither will let me watch live. Every time I give Hulu Plus a shot, I keep thinking "why exactly am I paying for this?"

Peteski likes this.