What's Your Take on The Comcast Customer Router WiFi Service?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by GeorgeB, Mar 6, 2014.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Comcast announced last June that they would begin rolling out a new service for Comcast cable subscribers that would basically turn their customer's home routers into WiFi hotspots.

Essentially they will upgrade customer residential gateways to allow them to dual broadcast an SSID for the residential customer and an SSID called xfinitywifi that will allow Comcast subscribers to log on (with their provided username and password) to that WiFi and access the internet.

This year they've actually begun to slowly roll out the service and I'm not seeing anyone getting all up in arms about it so it must be going over well in Chicago?

As a security minded network geek I'm both fascinated and terrified by this.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I also read you need to call them to get it shut off. A.) Security issue? I think so and B.) Who's bandwidth does this go against? What if my neighbor connects to my router and downloads 15 copies of Windows 8?

4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    It's only a matter of time before people figure out how to exploit this and gain access into people's personal computers. I mean, at least with standard Wi-Fi we are using a more established protocol that has been fine tuned over the years. How exactly do they plan on keeping the outside users from gaining additional access and privileges on your router if they've already got their foot in the door by sharing your connection. Also, if they can afford to allocate bandwidth to random users passing by your place, that means they can and are throttling your own bandwidth. Supposedly this isn't going to affect their subscribers download speeds, but you know how they get around saying stuff like that - they will claim that only extreme users, those hitting the monthly caps, would even notice a difference and that the average user probably would not.

cobywill likes this.