What's good for slow connections

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by libretos121, Mar 28, 2015.

1. libretos121

libretos121 Active Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Hey there! I have comcast both dsl and wifi. We have 2 or 3 devices connected to it in the house. But we have been experiencing a slow connection. Any tips?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Member

Mar 2, 2015
    If you need to check your speeds, you can do a test at www.speedtest.net. If the speed rates that are listed after you run the test are significantly below what your providers says you should be getting, I would give them a call. I suppose it is possible that all your devices could be infected with malware or viruses that would slow everything down. Make sure your anti-virus software is updated and you can also run scans on all your PCs to see if any viruses need to be removed. You can also go to www.malwarebytes.org and download their tool. Be sure to follow their instructions as you will need to disable your firewall and your anti-virus software in order to run their test.

The first time I ran the malwarebyte software, even though I had a good anti-virus program and kept it updated, it still found quite a bit of malware. I do regular checks now so that won't happen again.

4. JPB_003

JPB_003 Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Sarah gave some good advice, but some more would be to contact your provider. Sometimes they will throttle your internet and hope you don't notice. This is an unfortunate case when it comes to monopoly companies.
    I have had it happen to me before, with low speeds and frequent crashes while paying for "high-speed" internet.

Someone could also be on your wifi you don't know about, might want to check that. Had that happen before also.

5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    I have WOW cable, but we do have like three phones, three laptops and a tablet running on the same network. My sons kept telling me that our internet is too slow.

Thank you Diane for sharing these tips! Appreciate it very much!

6. jamiew23

jamiew23 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2015
    There's not all that much you can do to improve the speed of your internet. My internet at home is awful and we've called our internet service provider but unfortunately because of the area I live in they can't offer any faster and nor can any other internet provider :(

Currently downloading a PS4 update which is going to take at least 2 hours! Absolutely ridiculous I know!

My tips would be to use a cable to connect to the internet so you have a stable connection, you could potentially get your internet service provider to boost your speed if they can but it all depends on the area you live in unfortunately :\

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm pretty lucky as my broadband is pretty quick, I live right near the exchange and I'm getting like 25% faster speeds than people with the same company who live further away.

I think whats been said before is the best advice. Always try and use a hard wired connection. I know sometimes this isn't possible but when your streaming or downloading, I find WiFi can be a nightmare sometimes, especially if your hooked up to a few devices.

Next is speaking to your company, if your paying for a certain speed and your getting nowhere near then your entitled to ask the question.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    Call and complain, and keep doing it until you get a faster connection. Currently, my wife and I use our Verizon hotspot as an ISP, since we're grandfathered on their unlimited data plan, and the connection is very good, but when we were using DSL, we have had to call several times. Eventually, they'll replace lines going from their main line to your house, or whatever else they need to do. First making sure that you don't have malware on your system is a good idea too, however.

9. jamiew23

jamiew23 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2015
    I'm phoning sky in a couple of days to complain about the speeds I've been getting for the past couple of years with little to no improvement yet they are now focusing on giving people fibre! The problem is sometimes there's really nothing you can do it just depends on the area you live in. Worth a call though you never know they might even give you a discount as an apology.

10. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    If it's slow in any area of the house then it might just be that the service itself is slow, but if you have dead spots the. You could just get a repeater which is a device you could plug to a wall socket that will provide as a sort of router extender. To check if this is the case you could just download some apps on your phone to see where the signals are at their lowest.

LeoIrish likes this.
  11. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    My Roku streaming device is pretty interesting since my download speed is always fluctuating. A good advantage of it is that sometimes it dynamically changes the resolution of the footage I'm watching. Sometimes the changes to 480p can be a bit jarring, but otherwise it maintains continuity without any annoying buffering. I'm really glad that bitrate sampling/fluctuating exists to counteract those annoying "Buffering..." moments.

12. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Using Wi-Fi in some areas can be tough depending on your modem processing speed and other metrics. I would suggest you try getting an Ethernet cord to connect the devices and see if that changes anything. If not it is because you live out in the boonies or your service is not providing for you.