What to watch on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Other' started by LeoIrish, Nov 13, 2015.

1. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Regardless if I pay for a service or not, I try to get the most out of it I can. Generally, I like scripted content (most of the time). To date, I have watched H+, LA Beer, and a few episodes of Jay Leno's Garage.

I am looking for ideas of other original series to watch on YouTube. Any ideas?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Hiya! I suppose it all depends on your interests. Youtube is really amazing because it's free and everyone's competing for these niche markets. Love cooking? There are tons of free shows on youtube-- cooking with dog, bento chefs, outdoor cooking etc. Love to watch the news? CNN, Rappler, BBC, Top10 lists, WatchMojo and other channels provide free content everyday! But if you're looking for original series then go for Buzzfeed, Cracked and maybe even Vervegirl if you're interested. They don't have big budgets though that's the only downside.

LeoIrish likes this.
  4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    @Hyperion: Thank you for the input - I will make a point of checking them out. Big budgets do not always mean something is good to watch.

5. mrboo

mrboo Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I'm all about the video games on Youtube. Vinesauce is pretty cool to watch. He does charity streams with video game corruptions. Then you can go for something more scripted like The Angry Video Game Nerd who reviews old games and gets angrrryyyy (lol) or JonTron (one of my favorites). I also love watching Did You Know Gaming. All of those are good channels to take a look at.

6. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    It depends on what kind of content you like, but there is a ton of stuff on their and channels for everybody.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I love watching the family vlogs and lifestyle vlogs on YouTube. I recommend itsjudyslife for family vlogs. It can brighten up your day because their kids are adorable and funny. I can't recommend the lifestyle vlog I'm watching because it's in my native language, lol. But I'm sure there are tons like it if you search on YouTube. Good luck!

8. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    My favorite type of video to watch on youtube is movie review videos. I like it mostly because it's nice to see someone else's opinions on what I just watched, or sometimes it's just fun to see the review of a movie that I probably will never watch anyway. This way I get to see a discussion of the synopsis and I don't have to spend 2 hours to watch the movie itself.

briannagodess likes this.
  9. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    If you want a web series, I would definitely recommend the Mortal Kombat: Legacy. It's a pretty cool take on the traditional Mortal Kombat game lore. And also, check out Sync by CorridorDigital. This sci-fi web series is a professional quality pack of pure awesomeness! They also have some cool live-action adaptations of popular video games like Splinter Cell and Shadows of Mordor.

10. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    They're not 'traditionally' scripted in probably the same sense you're considering, but I like Cinema Sins, personally. I'm a decent-sized movie buff, and I love the deconstructions of movies I love and hate alike. It's a great way to watch movies you would never normally check out, as well - I gave up on the Transformers films a while ago, for example, but I'll happily watch Cinema Sins riffing on the fourth movie. Much better way to watch a bad movie, even if you don't catch the whole thing.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  11. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    Ah, this one. I love it. (Though recently their Sins tallies have deviated from the original format and went towards a more comic approach). And I totally agree with the whole 'better than actually slog through the movie' part. The Fifty Shades of Grey and Twilight reviews were more interesting than those 'movies' would ever be.

Oh, another one is honest movie and game trailers. Not only is the narrator's voice (and by his own admittance too) awesome, but also the content is funny as hell. :rofl:

12. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I've never really taken their sins tallies seriously. Though that's possibly because the first movie I watched was something by Michael Bay, and the tally ballooned into the thousands during a countdown of explosions. All in good fun.

And I'll double down on the Honest Movies / Trailers. Though I find the writer(s) of the movie trailers a lot better than those of the game trailers. Not sure why. The narrator's great either way.

13. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Can you recommend any specific movie reviewer channel? I haven't encountered any video like this mainly because I didn't really think they exist. But it can be fun to see what others are saying about my favourite movies, lol.

14. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    Half in The Bag and Your Movie Sucks are my favorites. Both have great editing and comedic timing and they put in a lot of thought into their videos. What I like about them most of all is that they aren't tryhards and they don't use "whacky" faces on their thumbnails which as you already know annoys me to no end. :D

15. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Thank you so much for the recommendations! And wow, there's some comedy aspect to their reviews as well, maybe that's why you love them. I haven't encountered much comedy in reviews in the YouTube channels I've been in, lol.

Haha! It's a good thing they don't have wacky faces on their thumbnails. Lol. I'd have to agree since a lot of YouTubers are trying hard these days. They cannot seem to act natural in camera.

16. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    Corridor Digital is really good if you like watching visual/special effects. There's also a lot of great short films that you can find behind the curtain, and really there's just a lot of really good content out there that's very good in the short term. However, you likely won't be able to find TV quality stuff or stuff of that certain quantity.

17. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    Yeah both of those are my favorites and I will post some more if I remember them but for now those are the ones that stick out the most in my memory. What I hate the most is that even the tryhards get popular so they are constantly pushed on me in the related videos section so I constantly have to put up with seeing their faces even when I never watch them and instead just like the same topic. It's just a minor problem though and I know a lot of people are going through a lot worse so I try not to let it get to me haha.

18. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    The problem with YouTubers is the same problem any form of media seems to face: one person does something, and does it successfully, and then everyone copies them. It's especially egregious for a lot of YouTubers because they tend to cater to younger audiences who like outlandish, in-your-face humour, and goofy expressions / crazy exaggerations are good for easy laughs.

19. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Hahahaha! Well, those trying hards are getting more and more popular simply because most people bite into them. My sister loves those videos and she's supporting the cause of those trying hards. I don't even watch the challenges videos or tags which I did watch years and years ago. I wonder if those YouTubers have matured and stopped doing the annoying faces you hated. Lol.

20. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    It really triggers me that these people are getting popular when there are a lot more talented people getting ignored, but I guess this has always been the reality of everything even way before the internet existed. Quality doesn't really ensure popularity I guess, but at least some of them do make it to the top so it's not just all crap that gets popular.

21. morgoodie

morgoodie Member

Feb 28, 2016
    I need to delve into YouTube more as I have only watched music videos on it. I never think about watching a movie or tv series on there. I will have to check it out as I am sure there are tons of things to watch on it. Great ideas in everyone's posts.