What is the best internet speed?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by rash085, Jan 8, 2014.

1. rash085

rash085 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 8, 2014
    I am curious about this. What is the internet speed do you think is the best both for browsing and streaming music as well as videos?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    Well I'm with Bell here in Canada for internet. I have high speed internet and get download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps and it's one of the highest and best provided by the company. I don't have any problems browsing and streaming media on my computer because everything moves at a very swift pace when it comes to loading, so if you going to get internet make sure the speed is up to those kind of numbers.

4. True2marie

True2marie Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 2, 2013
    You need a 40 Mbps to really enjoy the Internet. Otherwise, your downloads are too slow. You'll only frustrate yourself. Trust me - I learned this the hard way.

5. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    We have 5 mbps, I don't have to wait any more than 10 seconds for a movie to begin streaming. Never run into buffering problems either. As far as downloading I'm sure it would take longer but we don't download anything only stream.

6. TPhoenix

Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah you would probably be affected by the download speed. I also have to wonder how well HD media loads with having only 5 Mbps to work with. Do you stream HD shows and movies and does it play without constantly buffering?

7. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    Yes everything I stream is in HD and it does play without constantly buffering. The catch may be that we use a local ISP and not Cox, Comcast, Charter, TW, etc.

8. Astdua

Astdua Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 11, 2013
    I recommend a minimum of 15-20 Mbps. If you have lower then that, you can still use the internet mostly for anything, but it's not as fast and enjoyable as it could be. I myself get a constant of 30 to 40 even, and don't pay that much, so it's a great deal for me, and when I've used friends' connections at a 15-20, I've noticed a huge difference, so I can only imagine what below that must be like.

Funnily, I recently read an article about South Korea introducing 300Mbps MOBILE internet from several providers, and we would be considered lucky to get 50...

9. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I agree and eventually plan to upgrade. It surprises even me that I'm getting the kind of quality I get over 5 mbps.

10. TPhoenix

Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    For only getting 5Mbps, you sure do get some really reliant and steady service. Like you said with the catch, it is likely that your local ISP is providing you with much better convenience for having a small amount of Mbps versus how it would have really been for you if you were using an ISP with that speed from one of the top companies. That`s good, though. I guess it now makes you wonder how fast it could get with an upgrade.

11. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    But the cheap skate in me says.. if it ain't broken.. don't fix it.