What Do You Think Of Hulu's Commercials?

Discussion in 'Hulu' started by tiffaninichole, Dec 2, 2015.

1. tiffaninichole

tiffaninichole Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    I know that some people don't mind, but I absolutely LOATHE the commercials. I remember the first time I watched an episode on Hulu, I was so confused when the first ad came on because previously, I'd only streamed from Netflix. So I figured that like with any other paid service, I was paying to get content commercial-free. Imagine my surprise when I discovered otherwise.

And I know they have an option for an ad-free Hulu for an extra charge, but I refuse to pay more for something that I should already been getting. The only reason I'm still a member is because my uncle paid for a year of service for me as a gift. When this year is up, I will be like
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I also hate the commercials, but I do not want to spend the extra to eliminate them. So, as I already had a lifetime license for PlayOn, I spent another $10 so I can record anything I want on my computer, and skip the all of the commercials when playing it back (also works on Crackle).

4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm not a big fan of Hulu's commercials either. I don't think it's fair to charge someone for a service, only to have commercials involved. Streaming is usually to avoid commercials entirely and also enjoy more of what "you want." I don't want commercials. I'd leave Hulu for that simple fact. They're already getting your money, so to charge you extra to avoid ads is a bit insulting.

5. Barbara Wallace

Barbara Wallace Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    CT
    I suppose it is a matter of perspective. I like Hulu and I do pay the extra $4 for no commercials during my program. Netflix is good, but only if you watch a lot of movies or want to catch up on old stuff. Hulu gives you next day new tv shows not just from one provider but at least 4. ( ABC, NBC, Fox, CW plus more) Also movies and full season of older (all) series. For someone like me that likes to watch new stuff it's great. I also have Plex and Playon so I can watch anything I want. Live? I can do that too with USTVnow for free on Plex. But too many commercials. Hence Hulu without.

6. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I am not a fan of any commercials really so it should come as no surprise that I do not like Hulu's

7. amcrazygirl30

amcrazygirl30 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    I am one of the ones that hates those commercials. I see there is now an option to purchase an upgraded membership that gives you commercial free viewing, but for me it just isn't worth it. I guess I am a bit biased because of the lack of shows I can find to watch on Hulu, but it just isn't for me. I would rather just wait until they come up with a bigger list of shows that I like to watch.

8. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I hate these commercials even more after binge watching Hulu for like five hours.

9. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I don't mind the commercials but I mind that they put in too much of them. I can't complain for something I get for free though so I just sit through them. I am used to watching on tv so I am used to putting up with commercials, and even though I have gotten spoiled by online viewing I think the patience for commercials has stuck with me a bit.

10. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Member

Feb 12, 2016
    http://www.hulu.com/nocommercials

Apparently they are going to have a service now that offers streaming with no commercials. Plus they have a free trial included in it! I personally think commercials can be beneficial for when you want to get up and stretch or whatever but I guess you could just pause it, lol.

11. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    It's pretty funny how out of touch they are with the cord cutter population in general. Is this what I left television for? For a bunch of stupid ads conceived by "quirky" marketers that totally remove you from the pacing of a show by adding in annoying advertisements for almost half of the show's runtime? At least that's how it used to be last time I watched TV and I can't imagine it got any better. I'd very much pay them for subscription instead of dumb revenue collection like this.

12. Barbara Wallace

Barbara Wallace Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    CT
    I totally agree. I watch General Hospital which is a soap opera. On regular TV it is an hour show. On Hulu(no commercials) it is 37 min. Even with their commercials it was only 42min. No commercials lets me watch more entertainment and waste less time watching stupid commercials over and over.

13. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    I honestly don't mind the ads on Hulu as they are very brief compared to regular cable tv. My only issue is when they play the same commercials over and over again I wish they would at least change it up.

14. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Yeah, the same commercials being played every break is one of the things that drives me nuts with all the cord cutter channels out there.

Actually, I don't mind the regular commercials you get on cable TV. They often become part of pop culture, and some of the commercials from my youth are still remembered fondly by me. They can also be informative, and help me to find out about deals and new products.

What I don't like with cable TV is the large volume of commercials. If done properly, I would actually enjoy them.

15. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Yeah I wish the cable TV commercials were brief like the ones on Hulu but your right commercials are not so bad in itself and I have quite some fond memories of them for example anyone remember the taco bell dog commercials? lol. Anyway, I'm just sick of Hulu playing the same car or bank commercial over and over again lol it drives me nuts. I'm almost tempted to pay the $4 extra for the no ad plan.

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  16. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016

I actually have a T-shirt of that Taco Bell dog saying "I think I need a bigger box" from when the Godzilla 1998 movie was coming out..lol

DustnBones001 likes this.
  17. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Lol that's awesome I miss the taco bell dog commercials. Nowadays commercials seem so bland.

Lost in Delaware likes this.