What did you think of the free U2 album?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by AmandaK, Sep 18, 2014.

1. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Admittedly, it's not their best work. However, I like that the band made it available for free. They are huge rock stars and don't need the money, but most bands don't make money off of record sales any more. It's the concerts and commercials and merchandise that serve as bread and butter. Maybe lots of other bands will follow suit in the interest of self-promotion. Unfortunately, lots of people want to remove the U2 album because it's taking up valuable storage space, lol.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I am not a huge U2 fan, I think they have done some ok songs, but that's it. Sure, it's great that they made it available for free, but that raises the question of who really wants it and who just has it because it's free.

4. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I'm not a U2 fan in the least, and I think it was despicable the way Apple forced it onto every connected device. I was all for the announcement when it came out, because even though I'm not a fan, it's always great to have a free option. However, to be listening to music on Shuffle and all of a sudden have to hear Bono would not be enjoyable for me. The process to remove him from the phone wasn't difficult, but it was a pain as most people don't sync their phones with iTunes regularly.

It would have been nice if they had just made it available "if you wanted it".

5. Amenokaji

Amenokaji Active Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I think U2 was either for people that pirated music that bought it when they enjoyed it, or against it, I can't remember which bands it was specifically but its nice they gave out a free album to everyone like that, it helps them in the long run I think. I personally won't be listening to it but I am sure it will introduce someone who might not normally listen to the group, to their music, and then they might og buy some other song because of it.

6. AresBlade

Sep 15, 2014
    Just keep in mind this wasn't U2 being "nice guys". They were paid 100 Million for this album by Apple. Radiohead gave away their last album as a "pay what you want" and ended up making the most money they ever had.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Ah, so that is interesting information Ares, Apple paid them 100 million for them to release a so called "free" album? What's in for Apple, what do they gain with this?

8. AmandaK

Sep 18, 2014
    I had assumed any money U2 received went to RED or another charity the band supported. I don't see that this is the case with this album. However, U2 has done so much work with nonprofits in the past that they seem almost to be better at aid than music-making. I hope they will continue to focus on their aid work.

9. AresBlade

Sep 15, 2014
    Apple just gained a huge marketing tool is all. Being able to say that the only place to get the new album from U2 is big news, even though it doesn't appeal to me at all. They'll easily make back the money in exposure, so it's really a no brainer for Apple to brand themselves with the biggest touring band on the planet. It's worked for them in the past, as U2 teamed with them for an exclusive on iPods years ago.

10. TVLovingGal

TVLovingGal Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I like some of U2's songs, but I would not consider myself a huge fan. I think it is a great promotional tool for both iTunes and U2, but I question the decision to automatically install it in every user's library. iTunes even had to come up with a tool to allow people to remove it. I guess they thought that since the first time they teamed up with U2 was pretty successful, this time would be no different. People don't like to have things forced on them even if they are free.

11. AmandaK

Sep 18, 2014
    I remember the first few generations of ipods came with a few songs installed on them. They were the sort of classical music that lots of people claim to listen to, though few actually do. Since they stopped including them, I assume Apple learned forced music is not effective. U2 was one of my childhood favorite bands. If the year was 1987, this would have been a gift beyond my wildest dreams.

12. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    This is a really late reply to the thread, but it really didn't bother me at all. I usually like U2, and I gave the album a listen, but it was nothing special. I didn't mind them adding it automatically to my library, but it seems everyone else took offense in that.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I didn't mind Apple forcing the U2 album on me. Mainly because I'm a casual fan of that band. Thought it was a good idea from a marketing stand point for U2. As far as the album itself, it was pretty average. A couple of good tracks and a lot of filler. Nothing blew me away. Favorite track is probably "Every Breaking Wave".

14. worldmachine

worldmachine Active Member

Mar 12, 2015
    I think everyone that has posted on this topic has made some valid points, i was not impressed with the album, their best creative days are probably behind them now but i admire their longevity and the fact they are embracing modern technology like this. However, it is disgraceful to inflict their album on users in this way but the general concept is good.

All credit to U2 for still being able to generate this level of publicity after 37 years together, they don't need it, but you have to admire their hard work and motivation. They could just sit back and enjoy their wealth.

15. rightct

rightct Active Member

Mar 21, 2015
    A very late reply, I know, but I'd like to give out my two cents on their giveaway. I personally enjoyed them offering us the album for free, as I really hadn't heard from U2 for quite some time, and this album was very welcome in order to redirect my thoughts to them and their great career which they conducted for a few decades. Like worldmachine says, they could retire anytime and enjoy their wealth and fame, but the fact that they still haven't says a lot.

16. ColeNic

ColeNic Member

Mar 27, 2015
    I appreciate Apples effort to make and offer something free. It is somehow annoying though. I like some of the band's works and songs before but I think they have gone downhill already. They should accept the fact that they are not that famous anymore. Apple shouldn't have forced their album into the users' devices.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Its certainly caused a lot of publicity for both U2 and apple. Good and bad but its got people talking and I have a feeling this is what they both wanted all along, it was never about the album or iTunes, it was about getting people talking and generating publicity and to that extent, its obviously been a massive success.

18. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I'm not a massive fan of U2 either, so I only briefly listened to a few of their songs on that album. It's not horrible, but putting it into the IOS update was a dumb idea.

19. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    I'm not a U2 fan, I was barely able to listen to the album one time. The fact that it was free is nothing revolutionary, rap artists have been doing it for years (at least 10% of albums released were previously mixtapes available for free).

20. Chingling

Chingling Member

Apr 1, 2015
    The songs were okay, but I did like the fact that they released it for free. Even though they did get paid because Apple was the one to release it for free, it was a nice gift. I can see how some people would be angry about a random album appearing on their device that was hard to remove, but personally I never noticed anything.

21. ptimkey

ptimkey Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    I think they got a bad rap and anti-buzz. Those guys rock. Free does not equal bad, dude.

How about the Rolling Stones tour in USA? I'm going at least one of those dates.