What can iTunes do better?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Chingling, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Chingling

Chingling Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I remember a long time ago, when iTunes was the go to place for content of all sorts. I know that I bought a few movies and TV shows myself when there wasn't anything else to buy from. Then Netflix and other streaming services got big, and iTunes slipped into the shadows. I may be wrong about this, what do you guys think? Is iTunes still popular, or is there something that they need to do to get back into the game with the Netflix league?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    I have to admit that while I love my iPod and the iTunes database, I've never gotten into other types of media on iTunes. It just never made sense to me - the format and interface are hard to understand. I think this is one case where Apple missed the boat. As much as they may want it, iTunes isn't practical for ALL media use.

I think Apple needs to come out with a new program or application to compete successfully with netflix and Hulu. You'd think they would have done so already. Maybe they're not that interested in TV programming??

4. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    As far as iTunes is concerned. For those in the Apple ecosystem and only in the Apple ecosystem, it probably still is the 'go-to'... but with alternatives like Amazon Instant Video and other services, for those who aren't Apple loyalists, there are just too many options to compete with iTunes's archaic, proprietary, locked down service.

Apple is actually coming out with their own Apple Broadcasting Network, it's coming in... i want to say September. It will most likely coincide with a new AppleTV and I would make an educated guess that you'd probably have to buy the new Apple TV to use it (just like you had to buy a new iPhone to use ApplePay).

Apple is creating something similar to PlayStation Vue, it will only work on apple devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBooks, AppleTV, etc) and it will be a cable alternative like Vue and Sling, not a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu.

As i've said before, i don't really consider Sling or Vue to be cord cutting but just a different way to get cable, just like Satellite is a different way to get cable so now we have Internet cable and Apple wants in on it. You'll be getting full cable channels, dvr service, the whole works (don't know about local channels)

And knowing how Apple operates, (in theory at lease since I own no Apple products), they are coming in at just the right time.

Apple always waits for a market to be just on the cusp of acceptance before launching their alternative: tablets, wearables, NFC payments... they all operated like this. Apple is never first, often they're last. They let everyone else make all the mistakes and then they swoop in and save us all with their Appleness ;) and then charge more money.

So stay tuned, in July Apple will be giving more information about this new broadcasting service, and it will probably be huge. If Sony's not careful, Apple will blow them off the map with their new service... and if they do make it compatible with existing AppleTVs, it might be game over...

But Apple's new service won't really touch Netflix or even Hulu or Amazon Instant Video. They aren't going after them... they are going after the cable companies... and quite frankly... that's a battle I'd pay good money to see.

derrek likes this.
  5. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    I think a lot of the Netflix success is from their original series. All of them were highly rated & most people have heard of 'House of cards' or 'Orange is the New Black'. I don't think iTunes could pull off an original series, it doesn't really work with their branding. They probably make the majoring of their profits from music, that's what most people used it for a decade ago as "youtube to mp3" didn't exist and 'Limewire' was known for its viruses.

LeoIrish likes this.
  6. melaniephenderson

melaniephenderson Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 22, 2013
    I think the biggest turn off for most people with iTunes is their pricing. There's other downsides of iTunes in comparison to Netflix or Hulu but I'm sure the majority of consumers are just looking for the best value for their money and currently buying even one series on iTunes is far more expensive. As far as I can tell buying one season worth of content on iTunes (of a recent series) is about $40. You can get about 5 months worth of Netflix for that price in which time you'd definitely get to watch a lot more content.

Apple does seem to be working on creating their own web tv service although I feel that they might be a little late on the bandwagon. It would have to be pretty impressive in terms of pricing and content to get people to switch over from Netflix. They do seem to be going in a different direction though in terms of content like Olandir mentioned and could definitely be a welcome addition to the TV streaming market and could definitely fill a different niche.

7. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I 100% agree with this. Arguably with the exception of the iPhone, Apple pretty much always watches everyone else gain steam and scramble to work out the technological hurdles then comes in with a solution that just works and squashes the competition. Often times it's at an exorbitant cost to the consumer (have you looked at the prices of iHardware lately?) but they do a fantastic job at making technology usable for the average Joe.

I don't know about that. The idea of renting DVDs conveniently through the mail and without late fees got a lot of people to subscribe. When Netflix first started their streaming service it was an add-on benefit and pretty much a joke with old movies and TV shows; Most of which no-one would've went out of their way to watch anyhow. As streaming gained steam Netflix added more popular titles and finally original series once then they spun streaming off on it's own. Netflix I'd say is primarily a streaming business now vs. a DVD rental business.

olandir likes this.
  8. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    To be frank, I think with Apple doing so well, why change the formula? HOWEVER, in terms of being a consumer, I hate iTunes. It slows my laptop down, constantly needs updating and just isn't the greatest software. If you use all Apple devices then good for you, but for those of us who aren't so well off, there are plenty of other better options out there.

Big Dan likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    I've been using Macs since 2008, still I had never considered iTunes for anything other than music. I had never even noticed that they had movies. As for costs, yes Apple's products tend to cost more but when I was using a PC, I would have to replace it every couple of years, but I'm still using the MacBook that I bought in 2008, and it's as fast now as it was then, and new updates to the OS do not render the MacBook obsolete. I think Apple's products are a good example of the old adage, you get what you pay for. I doubt that I'll use their movie rentals though; I seldom rent movies and when I do, I'll go with Amazon.com or Google Play.

Big Dan likes this.
  10. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I agree Apple computers tend to have a longer usable life span. A mid-2008 Mac Mini that I bought used in 2009 is still plugging along as my mother's game machine. It's sluggish for anything else but usable as a secondary computer for email checking or for playing Mahjong.

On the PC side, I plan on either upgrading components or buying a new computer every 3 years or so. My current desktop is coming up on 2.5 years old. I recently bought an SSD as my primary drive and added a new 1 TB hard drive for additional storage last week. When this tower is beyond repair I'll likely replace it with a laptop.

It'll be the first time in years that I haven't had both a laptop and desktop. There's still the issue of needing a backup computer in case the laptop goes down. My current laptop may serve as that backup or I'll buy mom a new Mac Mini with enough horsepower to serve as a backup computer in case I need it.

11. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I generally do not use iTunes for anything at this point. I have gotten very used to using streaming options such as Amazon and Netflix for my on-demand requirements. If I do not feel like waiting, or the movie or TV show is not available via one of these options, I then simply put myself on the list at the library (we will be watching Into The Woods tonight and The Theory of Everything tomorrow).
    At this point, I really do not see the need to rent or purchase a movie via a place such as iTunes (same holds true for Amazon). We just have to exercise a bit of patience.

12. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I don't really think they are the best at anything anymore.

13. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I do think Apple does a very good job of executing - but I do not see them as visionaries. In many ways, I put them in the same arena as cable; they are an easy place to access what you want - and you will pay a premium for doing so.