Warning: If your ISP has caps, 4k video will blow through them every month.

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by GeorgeB, Feb 22, 2014.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    In an article on tech dirt, the discussion begins and some nitty gritty technical details emerge on just what 4K video from Netflix will mean for your data capped internet. In short, it won't be good.

While the average consumer things a 250 GB Charter/Comcast monthly data cap or even a 150 GB AT&T one is reasonable, the average cord cutter knows better. This could prove to be a good thing as more and more people drop their Cable TV subscription and start using internet bandwidth to view the same shows without commercials. More people hitting bandwidth caps every month means more people to complain and an exponentially expanding revolution.

The article also highlights once again the abysmally slow and overpriced American internet speeds compared to the rest of the world as Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is cited explaining just how much bandwidth and speed 4k video will require.

So I for one welcome this. I think it will push the debate over ISP bandwidth caps to the forefront and make things really interesting over teh next few years. What are your thoughts?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    If you can afford a decent 4K tv, yo probably have the best possible internet ;)

4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I personally wouldn't need video that high of a quality - that's literally higher quality than Blu-Ray. There isn't even really any broadcasting at that high of a quality yet. It will be years before mainstream media starts shooting and broadcasting at that high of a definition.

I am fine lowering the streaming quality of my videos to stay within my monthly caps. It sucks that I have to do that since they are advertising "unlimited" internet access, which is really not the case - but if they think they are "punishing" me by forcing me to use lower quality streams, they aren't. Even the medium quality streams are comparable to traditional cable programming which is also compressed.