Turn an old laptop into a slide out Media Center

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by cobywill, Feb 27, 2014.

1. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Good idea for those with either an old laptop or an out of warranty good one that has a broken screen. The screens can be replaced at a cost of around £150 + labour, but sometimes you can't be sure that it is the screen that is broken as there are other factors that can cause the same problem e.g. the graphics chip, inverter, cables etc..

One would have to be good with small screws and handcrafting as it can be tricky to get those screens to be completely detached. Following youtube vids are the most useful way but you have to hope someone has uploaded a video with a similar model.

[​IMG]

4. Peninha

Peninha Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Wow, really good idea, I can have the old computer entirely dedicated to the TV streaming with no more concerns, great tip and article Coby, thanks for sharing.

cobywill likes this.
  5. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    Hate to bump an older thread, but this is such a great idea. That's why I rarely ever part with old PCs and parts. You just never know what kind of projects you can use them for. I have about four busted laptops lying around the house, and now I know what to do with a couple of them! Thanks for sharing.

cobywill likes this.
  6. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA