Tips to Boost Wi-fi Signal

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by cobywill, May 4, 2014.

1. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Thanks for the useful article. A lot of people don't bother to check which channel gets the best signal. The router might be configured for auto-select but it's always worth double checking that it is in fact choosing the best channel for that area.

When the new WiFi standard becomes more mainstream there might not be a need for powerlines, depending on whether the other things listed are affecting your signal - microwaves, cordless phones, congestion etc.. With most homes now connected wirelessly there could be a problem finding an uncongested signal, so back to powerlines then!)

4. Peninha

Peninha Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Thanks for the tips, LOL, I love her name KimKomando, with that name I'd never associate her with that picture! :D

Most people don't even know what channels are kcut...

5. Sarcgirl

Sarcgirl Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I am totally going to try her first tip. My router is on my entertainment shelf right along with the Xbox 360, DVD player, Blu-ray player and cable box (so far I am the only one who wants to go completely cordless). - - - peace

6. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I put a longer Ethernet cable from the cable modem to the wireless router and it's cured most of my woes. Just getting it away from all the other electronics.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I live in a rather small flat and I only connect my router to my laptop. I used to do it wireless, but I realized that with he cable was much faster so I am using that now. With the smartphones it works fairly fast, so no need to speed it up for now.