Thinking about cutting the cord

Discussion in 'Help & Resources' started by Zelly, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Zelly

Zelly New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Good morning,

I have been thinking about cutting the cord for a while. There's so much information out there that sometimes it gets confusing. I want to completely discontinue my Direct TV subscription. I purchased an indoor HDTV antenna from Best Buy in an attempt to do this. But I kept losing the picture or just wasn't getting any reception at all. I already have Netflix and a Smart TV where I can access the apps for HBO ect. How do I go about getting the basic channels and some extra's like HBO? Can someone give me some suggestions? Do I need an outdoor antenna to achieve what I want to do. How do I go about finding someone who can install it?

Thank you,

Zelly

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, congrats on taking the first step (research). In some cases - such as myself - an indoor antenna will not do the job depending upon distance & obstructions. I put one in our attic, but it is still not great (good - but not great). If you go to TV Fool and input your information, it will give you a report showing your reception options. Perhaps putting an antenna will be the solution for you.

Zelly likes this.
  4. Zelly

Zelly New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you for your post. I believe I am going to have an outdoor antenna installed and then use some type of streaming service. Do you have any suggestions?

5. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    There are quite a few out there - both regular streaming services (ex: Netflix / Amazon / Hulu) - and the "cable alternative" ones (ex: Vue / Sling TV). My suggestion? Write down which networks you have to have, and then take a look at each service to see which one best fits your scenario. Then, make heavy use of the free trials. That will give you a chance to see which one delivers the most for your dollar.

Also, instead of subscribing to a service such as Sling TV, and if you do not need to see your cable network shows as they air, you might consider waiting for those shows to arrive on Netflix / Amazon / Hulu. In this manner, you think of the shows more than you do the network (ex: AMC content is on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu). Plus, if there are just a few shows you really want to watch, you can also purchase the seasons digitally. This could really save you some money. I make use of the Yahoo Video Guide app to figure out what streaming services a show is available through (it is pretty good).

It is very easy to subscribe and to cancel in today's world. For example, I subscribe to HBO & Starz once per year and binge the shows I have interest in, and then cancel (ex: subscribe to HBO for the last month GoT airs, and then get rid of it). There is no reason to keep subscribing just for one or two series.

Last but not least, make use of the library. I recently borrowed a few DVDs from the library to watch seasons of shows not available via one of the streaming networks I subscribe to. Since I prefer to wait and make use of the library, it saves me money every year.

Please feel free to reach out and I will do my best to respond.