Speedtest?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by elfennau, Nov 3, 2012.

1. elfennau

elfennau Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    This is born mostly out of idle curiosity, but what sorts of speeds do you guys get from your ISPs? I suppose this topic doesn't really have any practical use, but I just find it interesting to compare the speeds people are getting out of their ISPs. :)

If you need somewhere to go to test, I find http://www.speedtest.net/ to be terrific and I use it regularly to check to make sure I'm getting the speeds I'm supposed to be from my ISP.

Anyway, here's mine to start us off:
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. YamiPrem

YamiPrem Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

I can never get over 1 MB/s on my downloads. Is that the norm?
    7.18 Mb/s is about 0.8 MB/s.

4. hdm210

hdm210 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

But my internet is really always changing, yesterday I had a 4.06 MB/s download connection.

5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Personally I don't believe the results that they show. I'm not sure if it's the fault of Speedtest itself or something the ISPs are doing to make it look like their service is better than it really is, but Speedtest will always tell me I have between 5-8mb/s download speeds which I *never* get. At most I'm lucky if I break 1mb/s when downloading a file. If I am downloading multiple files, then they all become even lower, totaling up to 1mb/s on a good day.

Personally I think the ISP's just speed up their connections with Speedtest to make it look like everything is fine when users are running tests, then go back to throttling their connections for everything else.

6. Markopher

Markopher Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

Honestly pretty decent for LA, but I was getting way better up speeds when I lived in Oregon and had Comcast. Evidently TWC is going to upgrade their speeds (to compete witht he cities plan for fiber I guess) so mine should double if I understood the guy who set up my internet at my new place.

7. rash085

rash085 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Great thread. I have go over the site and I also have about 10 mbps. No doubt, now is a peak time, some times I get more than it, almost 100 mbps at the morning and late at night. Thanks for the sharing the site. Anyway, does the test accurate?

8. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    What you need to know is that Speedtest shows results in Megabits/second and downloads are measured in MegaBytes/second.

1 Megabyte = 8Megabits.
    So if speedtest shows 8Mbps, You will get 1 MBps(Notice the uppercase B)

9. Peninha

Peninha Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Mmm, are you sure sidd230? Actually, I have 100MB at my home and the speedtest says I have 75MB, so multiplying that by 8 doesn't seem viable. With wireless I can't get anymore than 10-15MB tough, really strange.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    I use my Verizon hotspot as my ISP. I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan that they not longer offer.

[​IMG]

Big Dan likes this.
  11. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    [​IMG]

This was taken while my neighbor was streaming something so I got a little hit on my download speed. It's normally in the mid-90s. As a webmaster I really wish I could get a better upload speed but I'm still doing better than a lot of people I know so I cannot complain.

Speaking of which has anyone tried the SpeedTest.net Beta? It's pretty sweet looking. http://beta.speedtest.net/

12. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    Awesome. I wish I could get an unlimited plan. Just found out Verizon doubled the data on my $45/mo prepaid plan to 1GB. Getting the extra 1/2 GB was a bit of a hassle though. I switched the plan on the same day my previous planned renewed. Verizon computers thought I should pay another $45 for the "upgrade". A call to customer service sorted it out. They were very nice about the whole thing but still it wasn't something I should have had to call in about.

I was buying add-on data packs because my plan only had an anemic 512MB but they'd expire before I even got to use half of the add-on data. Setting an expiration date on a data add-on is just a BS money grab, IMHO.

13. ocx

ocx Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Earth :]
    Say hello to my slow ass connection. LOL!

[​IMG]

From where I am, internet connection speeds has always been a problem that I doubt will ever be fixed.

I find this thread interesting because I can also compare my speed and everyone else's speed (and realising my speed is really slow lol!) I have changed my ISP three times already and this is the the most stable that I can afford right now.

My profession hugely relies on internet speeds so I guess you could say that I am not at all satisfied with what I am getting but I guess it's better than nothing :)