Sling TV just redid their packages and added a ton of new channels

Discussion in 'Sling TV' started by Lost in Delaware, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    The Beta Multistream package now is called the Blue package, and the old Best Of is now the Orange.

Both are multistream now.

They added BBC America, SyFy, NBC (live feed in certain local markets), Bravo, USA, Oxygen, Vibrant.

The Orange package is $20 and the Blue Package is $25. You can get a combined package for $40.

It appears that the combined packaged is basically just taking the 2 packages and combining them with a $5 discount....but there is a lot of redundancy between the two packages and only a handful of channels that you get different. Looks like ESPN and Disney are basically costing $15 to add to the Blue package this way, am I missing something?

Double D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    BTW.... multi stream customers subscription price is staying the same for now...

SLING BLUE (EXCLUSIVE PRICE FOR BETA MULTI-STREAM SUBSCRIBERS)

4. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
  5. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    While I like they are adding more channels I wish they wouldn't of raised the price of the multi stream plan. I have no need for NBC I have an antenna for that.

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  6. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    It will be interesting to see if they raise it again when they roll out regional Comcast Sportsnet

7. ACM2462

ACM2462 New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    It really bothers me that ESPN is not included in the Blue package. I specifically ordered the Blue package for the stations that will carry the NFL games. But if I don't add the Orange package I'm screwed for Monday Night Football. I believe this was done intentionally in order to force football fans to pay for 2 packages. Pretty sleazy in my opinion. Sling should tier the packages so that Blue would include all of the Orange programming plus some additional channels.

8. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I wonder if this was done to appease certain entities versus simply making people subscribe to both versions to get all of the sports.

9. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    ESPN is owned by Disney..the deal with Disney does not allow Sling TV to multistream their channels (ABC, ESPN, Freeform, Disney Channel), which is why they are in the Orange package .

10. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    The orange package still exists SOLELY due to DIsney

11. Bobarooo

Bobarooo New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Things will have to change with sling. I just cancelled. With 50 mbps time werner it worked pretty well using roku, less so with channel master. Im switching to vue, get more channels, multi streaming up to 5 with disney plus a dvr cloud service. Im paying $5 a month for kids channels, yet i dont get disney jr and nick jr, disney xd or disney. Pay $25 to multistream, $5 for kids with without disney, xd, nick jr and disney jr vs pay vue $40 get abc, all kids channels, cloud dvr, think Ill try out vue

12. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Since you are going to be able to directly compare the two, please provide your thoughts after you have given Vue a real try.

13. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I've been tempted myself. But, there's some overlap between Hulu, OTA and PSV and I really don't want to give up commercial free Hulu. The cloud DVR feature of PSV would overcome my biggest objection with Sling (commercials). I might give PSV a shot if/when they add 5.1 sound.

14. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    Looks like sling is essentially cable tv by another name.
    They're certainly the mega-conglomerate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney#Disney_Media_Networks

It's easier to list what they don't own.

15. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    I have Vue and Sling TV running side by side now, both on a Roku 3 AND a Fire TV..

Vue has a lot of flaws, but I am starting to like Vue more than Sling TV right now. Vue's PQ has been more consistent. I do like the Sling TV Roku interface better than the Vue Roku interface, but I prefer the Vue Fire TV interface over the Sling TV Roku interface

DustnBones001 and LeoIrish like this.
  16. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Thank you for the update. I hope you will provide another one in the future.

17. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    Sling TV is running a Starz promo, but the PQ for Starz has been horrendous. Meanwhile, Vue suffered an overload at kickoff time for the NFL on Sunday and crashed...they had about a 20 minute outage.

DustnBones001 and LeoIrish like this.
  18. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    My experience with the Starz free preview on Sling was a mixed bag. The live feed worked great but trying to play a movie on demand was a nightmare. It would constantly buffer it drove me nuts. I wanna add Starz to my subscription but they gotta fix the on demand buffering issues.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  19. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    From my experience with the Vue free trial I do agree Vue has a much more consistent better PQ(but its a data hog so be careful if you have a data cap with your ISP) than Sling. My main issue with Vue is how locked in it is. I can't use Vue on my laptop for example. Sure I can authenticate with tv anywhere apps but I like to keep things simple. With Sling all I need is one app and I'm good.

Another issue with Vue is the terrible Roku interface and the lack of a true guide. The DVR also leaves much to be desired on the Roku as you can't even see how much you are rewinding or fast fwding.

Once Sony updates Vue on Roku I will give them a shot again. Until then I'm good with Sling.

20. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    We subscribed for the trial week last December via Amazon, and we did not have those issues. Just an FYI.

DustnBones001 likes this.
  21. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    I did try out the Starz free trial on Amazon Prime way back and I remember it worked well. The reason I wanted to add it to my Sling was for the live feed but I just heard that Starz now offers a standalone streaming service. Going to try that out first. Then I will more than likely add it to my Amazon since I'm looking to get prime again for the free shipping.