Sick of cable!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Spamalot, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Spamalot

Spamalot New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Hello everyone. Brand new to this cable cutting idea. But after getting my newest cable bill of $188/month I have had enough! Been reading on the forums for several hours now. Love that there is a forum for this!

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Spamalot

Spamalot New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Know that there will be alot of different opinions out there, but what is a good starter setup? Leaning towards the Roku stuff but am unsure. Is there a comprehensive list for Roku that tells you what channels are free and what is a la carte? Don't really care much about the sports. Wanting to keep my channels. Most of my viewing is History, AMC, Scyfy, Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel...etc

LeoIrish likes this.
  4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the group. As to your initial question, Roku does have the most options of all the streaming boxes out there. Although I have a Fire TV (1st gen), I also have a Roku 3, and I really like both. The Fire TV is faster, but the Roku has more channel options.

I do not know if there is a listing of what channels are free versus paid, but I am sure there is something out there to assist. I have never looked as there is too much on broadcast / Netflix / Amazon / Hulu / Crackle to keep me busy.

I see the channels you have the most interest in, and at least some are available Sling TV (various opinions as to how good it is). Will you be happy without all of those channels at your fingertips?

5. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Hello & welcome to the forum. When I look at your list of important programs they all seem to be cable channels available as TV Everywhere channels which mostly require some type of cable/satellite log in credentials. It is kind of misleading when you look at all the channels/apps listed on Roku & FireTv because many of them are pretty limited in content unless you have a qualified cable subscription which is counter productive to most true cord cutters.
    I think of myself as more of a Cord Shaver in that I am willing to pay for some programming but look to be as frugal about it as possible. Most folks will at a bear minimum need to subscribe to some services like Hulu & Netflix and if possible combine it with an Over the Air Antenna. Beyond that there are some cable alternatives like SlingTv & Playstation Vue that are cheaper options to fill the gaps. The main point is that while there are some totally free options besides OTA they are not your primetime cable channels. I currently have OTA/Hulu/Netflix/Cbs all Access & Slingtv. I pay I pay $42 per month for that Plus I use a Tivo for OTA DVR with Lifetime subscription I paid $299 for on time. This compares to My old DirecTv bill of $108 per month so I feel its worth it.

I also have 2 Ruku's & one FireTv box for streaming at other Tv's that I have spent about $200 on again as one time purchases.

I hope this information is helpful and suggest you read as much as possible on the Web searching "Cord Cutting"

6. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I was in the same boat. My Directv bill was $168 (and about to go up again) plus I already subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I dropped Directv and added Hulu (comm'l free), Showtime, HBO and Sling TV. I get CBS & NBC over the air with some ABC and Fox (signals not as strong on the latter). I already had 2 Apple TVs, 1 Roku and 1 Amazon Fire Stick. I added one more Roku. It has been about a month and I'm honestly not missing anything I want to see. And I'm saving about $100/month. Still looking for a DVR solution for my OTA channels.

7. flynlion

flynlion New Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Heh, maybe I've got it easy, but my bill is only around $90 per month and that includes high speed internet. The Cable TV is about $40 but since I only watch 2 or 3 of the channels I still think it's too much. I signed up for 3 mos of Sling to get the "free" Roku 2 and downloaded Kodi into my PC. I figure between the 2 of them I should be able to cut the cable TV and maybe later drop the Sling subscription as well if I end up not using it. It's nice to have options :cool: I'll let y'all know how it works out.