Roku Channels

Discussion in 'Roku' started by galmal, Mar 20, 2015.

1. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    What Roku channels do you subscribe too and what kind of content are you watching? Do you pay for any of them, or do you just watch the free ones?

I've been looking at the channels but I really haven't found any that seem to offer much more than what I could get on youtube, in fact, a lot of them actually say it's a youtube channel.

However, I have been using FoxNow - to watch current shows on Fox. I'm not crazy about the format - it's clunky and hard to get around. It doesn't seem to remember what shows you've watched before, so you really have to look around. But, still, I can watch the shows I want.

I love Pandora. I can create my own music stations, with the artists that I like. It also plays other artists who have a similar sound, so I'm finding new music all the time.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Aside from the big guys (Netflix, HuluPlus, Sling Amazon) I don't really use any Roku channels. I use Plex to pull from my computer and get stuff from some of the web based channels (CBS, etc.) Sometimes I use Crackle. I know people think it has too many commercials but I don't really care, but the content is so hit or miss it's really rare I'll find something I want to watch.

I know that Roku has a TON of local news stations, if you search through the store you'll see live news feeds available for a lot of major cities, but mine isn't one of them yet I can get my local news feed through the livestream channel though but I don't. I have other ways of getting news.

My wife and I did buy the Tetris game on Roku... because we're weird like that :)

4. Ken

Ken Active Member

Mar 14, 2015
    I like the "drive-in" movie channels. My wife is still fond of NOTV (New Orleans Travel) although that got pretty old for me after seeing the same stuff 2-3 times.

I have to admit though that I hate the interface for the "Spud" channels.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    I agree. I'd guess that about 70% of what I watch is on Netflix, 20% Hulu Plus, and the other ten percent divided between the several other channels on Roku. If you have Amazon Prime, you will find some stuff worth watching there, but most of what they have is available from either Netflix or Hulu Plus, and they rarely add anything new. Occasionally, I will rent a movie from one of the PPV channels, but not often. There are several channels that have a lot of really old television series or movies, and that can be fun sometimes, but that's not something I do often.

6. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    I love Crackle, it is free and it carries some really great programming. I also really like to watch horror movies, I like the B movies from long ago. There are a ton of these stations that are pretty good and free (Popcorn, Popflix, Zombee), there are a few pay per's that have nice collections of classic horror (Creepster comes to mind) As an anime fan I subscribe to Funimation. Very good collection for $6 a month If you like documentary type information I recommend the Smithsonian which is free. I also have History and occasionally watch the features they offer, ditto on the Sci Fi Channel. A&E and Lifetime also have the same type of viewing as they offered on cable. Lifetime is it's own free channel, A&E is buried in a news channel I get for free, in fact so is Adult Swim and a few other shows that were cable shows.

You have to think of Roku like this, many of the channels are like giant libraries of film and video from long ago. Since it is an emerging market there are new channels that are constantly being added. Plus Roku offers the best in paid service and radio. I love listening to Pandora and some of the west coast radio stations. I get weather and radar for free and with the antenna I get local stations. There is never a shortage of stuff to watch.

galmal likes this.
  7. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    SW Florida
    The first channel I add is for PlayOn, since that is where I get most of my content. However, the real value of the Roku is in the private channels. There is pretty much anything available out there and it's only a channel name away.

The Roku was, by far, the best cord-cutting investment I have made to date.

Pascual and ptimkey like this.
  8. Heather

Heather Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Alabama, USA
    I enjoy watching several of the private channels. I agree with the Smithsonian channel. I really love the music channels.

9. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I mainly view NetFlix and FoxNews. Yes, they are taped clips on Fox, but by the time I've looked at all the different commentators I feel like I've had more than enough news for the day. I also have Amazon Prime and I watch Crackle once in a blue moon. I also like the Billy Graham channel. They have classic sermons that Billy preached decades ago and their message is as relevant today as it was back in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Actually, I think their message is even more relevant today than in the past, considering all the unrest that is going on in today's world.

10. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    Crackle is a pretty cool channel. I don't watch it much myself but have caught a couple of good movies on it with my neighbor.

The Ted Talks channel (https://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/02/28/get-inspired-with-the-official-ted-channel-on-roku/) is one of my favorites but that's a pretty specialized channel for geeks.

I also like Twit.tv channel (http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/twit-tv) but that's another geek channel. I like some of their podcasts even if they're just running in the background as filler.

The Time Warner Cable channel is really really well done. If you haven't cut the cord already and are a TWC customer check it out. You'll be floored by how much better they execute on Roku vs. their own boxes.

11. AreYouNotEntertained

AreYouNotEntertained Member

Dec 30, 2014
    South by Southwest has a channel on Roku I'll be adding: SXSW On. From the press release:
    "SXSW On programming will feature several new series highlighting the best in original music, independent films, emerging technologies, cuisine and gaming culture. In addition to the live stream of the 2015 event, viewers will be able to access content from previous keynote speakers, panels and musical performances."

12. ptimkey

ptimkey Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Qello concerts. Sample clips for free. A must for music fans!

13. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I just watched a movie today on the "ON" Roku channel. I really liked it. They have other types of entertainment to watch but I usually gravitate towards the movies. A lot of the movies seemed to be from the 90s, which is fine with me and they looked to be fairly good quality movies that would be interesting to watch. It is getting harder and harder to find movies today that will keep my interest. A lot just seem to be pure trash.

14. Pascual

Pascual Roku private channel seller

Nov 9, 2015
    Hammond, Indiana
    You are right I am a seller for a private channel that lets you stream over 300 channels LIVE in full HD, hundreds of movies even the most recent ones and all the series you can think of with the latest episodes. The channel cost only $20 a month and I offer free trials so if anyone wants to give it a try just let me know

15. AlexEuropean

AlexEuropean New Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Since I'm french I was looking for french channels. I was subscribed for many of them. I tried this one http://euroroku.com Pretty cool. If you like watch football (soccer) this channels will be good for you. Cheers!