Roku Alternatives

Discussion in 'Media Players' started by DameWilson, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DameWilson

DameWilson Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Please use this thread to list any streaming devices that you know of that are not Roku. My brother has one and I've tried it out but don't like it. I already have an Apple TV and I'm looking for somethign that can compare to Roku in terms of having a bunch of apps and access to lots stream-able content.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    Does he have a newer model like the Roku 3? I have 2 of them that are 3 or so years apart from each and the improvements they've made are night and day. Here's some links that may help you in your quest. Chromecast is only $35 and is quite popular but is technically a "dongle" and not a box.

http://www.amazon.com/Streaming-Media-Players/b/ref=sv_e_4?ie=UTF8&node=13447451

This write up lists a few alternatives but it's very pro-Roku http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/roku-3-best-streaming-box/

Vizio Co-star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVK5PV2nN1k

Best of luck

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Realistically, there simply isn't another device available today that can compare with the Roku in the very feature you pointed out which is the amount of available content to stream. The thing is, that's OK because that's Roku's niche. It's what they do best and if that's what you want in a device, though you didn't want to hear this, your best choice is going to be a Roku.

I know that makes it seem like we're all pro-Roku here but that just isn't the case. I'm actually a big WDTV fan but even I have to admit the Roku wins hands down in terms of streaming channel performance. Again however, that's just what Roku does best.

If you're die-hard against a Roku however, I'd take a look at the Apple TV. In my opinion it's the device that comes closest to the best of both worlds between the Roku's channel availability and the WDTV's local media playing prowess. I often recommend it to beginner cord cutters who aren't sure what they'll want for this very reason.

I'm sure others here will recommend other alternatives as well :)

5. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Apple TV doesn't support Amazon Instant video natively. Major deal breaker for me.

6. stingyTV

stingyTV Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 16, 2014
    I would recommend that new ASUS Chromebox as a Roku alternative. I currently use the Samsung Chromebox with a wireless keyboard as my primary cord-cutting device. It turns on in seconds, is always up to date, and simple enough that a non-tech person can operate it. Plus it's more open than the Roku. It works on every website that I have tried.

You can use our website, www.stingytv.com, to browse streaming websites and a website such as www.guidebox.com to find streaming shows. Set one of them as your homepage on start up and you are good to go!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/meet-the-asus-chromebox-a-179-fanless-mini-desktop/

7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I have the Sony streaming media player - like th eone shown below:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SMP-N100-Streaming-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B0042SDDXM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393546013&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+streaming+media+player

However I didn't pay anywhere near that for it, I paid around $80 from what I recall. I got mine at Costco.

It worked fine, but the streaming sources on it were limited. It only had a small number of them, including Netflix and Hulu of course as long as a few others like Crackle and some ones I hadn't heard of before.

My biggest complaint was it was a pain in the butt trying to type in show names with the controller. Plus for some reason it has a limitation on how many characters you can enter, so you can't search for some shows.

8. thecaribbeancanuck

thecaribbeancanuck Member

Dec 14, 2014
  9. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I have used several of the media devices (and a few of the Android ones as well). I have to say my favorite streaming box to date is the Fire TV. It is easily the most powerful of the streaming boxes, loads video the quickest (Amazon content is crazy fast), and the games are a nice bonus (already owned a MOGA controller).

Without a doubt Roku offers the most channels, but I wanted a box which covered a few basics (Amazon / Netflix / Crackle / Hulu / YouTube). With those few requirements, the only other aspect I was interested in was speed.