Review of Amazon Video (Amazon Prime)

Discussion in 'Amazon Instant Video' started by LeoIrish, Aug 9, 2016.

1. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    http://cordcutting.com/review-of-amazon-video-amazon-prime/

I have not seen a review online recently detailing thoughts on a specific streaming service. As this one seemed to do a pretty good job, I thought it might be a good posting. I should note we make good use of our Prime membership (Kindle lending library / music streaming / photo storage), and have been Prime members for almost 5 years.

Overall I find the interface to be fine – but without a doubt it is better on an Amazon device than another (ex: Roku or Xbox). I know some complain Amazon includes both Prime included content and content you are able to purchase / rent. Personally, it really does not bother me, but I can see how it might be an issue for some.

We have been very happy with increased content Amazon has to offer. Without Amazon, it would be more difficult for us to have cut the cord – and we really enjoy most of the originals Amazon has created over the last couple of years. Is it as large and distinguished as Netflix? No – but I do not think it has to be. They are really different companies, and it is hard to directly compare the two when you include the other perks being a Prime member offers. Some of my favorite shows are available via Amazon (ex: Bosch / Orphan Black / Vikings). They also have some of the best kids / tweens shows out there.

One aspect the review did not hit on is the ability to download content for later viewing. We went on vacation this summer (international), and the ability to download content via the Amazon app was a great feature to have available. This meant everyone had something to keep themselves occupied with during the long flights, and when we were stuck in the airport overnight because of weather (yep – great fun). This may not be a feature we will use on a regular basis, but it really was useful for us.

In the end, Amazon Prime is a good deal for us, but I would not purchase it if all I wanted was the video aspect. When I review if being a Prime member is worth the money or not, I have to consider the other aspects of prime as well (Music / shipping / photo storage / Kindle). With those included, being a Prime member makes absolute sense for us. Having Amazon, along with Netflix and Hulu, have made cutting the cord pretty easy.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Thanks for the tip about downloading. I wasn't aware I could do that. I will have to check into this for camping trips.