Reality Shows You're Still Watching

Discussion in 'What To Watch' started by Haruka, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    It seems like the reality show trend has died down a bit and it's not as rampant as it was just 4 or 5 years ago. I'm glad that some still exist though because it is still a very entertaining genre to me, just not as much when it's all that is being shown on majority of the channels.

I'm surprised that survivor and American Idol are still alive, to be honest. As for what I'm watching, I honestly don't watch much of these anymore but I am saving up a lot of them so I can binge whole seasons at a time later on. For now I'm saving up Project Runway, RuPaul's Drag Race, and Pawn Stars.

What reality shows are are you still watching? Any new discoveries you'd care to share?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    I've been watching Kitchen Nightmares, both the US and UK version. I prefer the US version when I'm bored and want to watch Ramsay tell people to fuck themselves, but when I'm feeling like I actually want to see something a little less cheap, the UK version is good because it focuses a little more on the dynamics of the restaurant and not the people working there.

4. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    Now that you mention it, I'm reminded that I also like masterchef junior, although not really the American version with Gordon Ramsey but the Australian one with the better set of judges in my opinion. I like GR but the US version somehow feels just a little more artificial to me than the Aussie one.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I think Survivor is okay still. But American Idol has gotten downhill and I even thought last year's season was the final season. But I saw it on my local cable channel just last week.

As for me, I love Masterchef, The Voice, Beauty and the Geek, Australia's Next Top Model and Hell's Kitchen.:)

6. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares. I know that they're scripted and what's on screen is like, heavily modified (to say the least) to amp up the drama. But the raw emotions that the participants and Gordon Ramsay sometimes display on-screen are what makes these shows watchable, I guess. And the tirade of F-bombs and 'Get Out!'-s. Oh, I love those segments!:D

I also like the Voice UK. It's a bit different with its 'blind audition' gimmick, and the participants, on average, are better than those of the other 'singing competitions' on air.

7. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Lol, yeah, that's what makes Hell's Kitchen super engaging and fun to watch. Masterchef doesn't have much drama like that. However, I love that the judges in this show is quite lenient a bit. But of course, the stricter the judges, the better the critique is. Just like when Simon Cowell was in American Idol, they had far better participants then.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    The good old reality shows, how we love to hate them, but still watch them anyway!

Ramsey's kitchen nightmares, Mystery diners, Restaurant impossible, Bar rescue...they're just some that I watch, and even though they're as fake and scripted as much as a reality TV show could possibly be, I just can't help but watch them.

Sometimes I think people just need to watch shows that aren't that deep and meaningful, and that's why shows like this continue to be popular...well, that's my excuse for watching them anyway!

briannagodess likes this.
  9. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Yeah, that's quite true. It's one of those habits you cannot get rid of. As for me, I don't even imagine them being scripted so I can enjoy the show, haha! I remember reading before that Survivor isn't much of a reality show as we know it. Like the participants ride a car to get to the elimination area and some other facts they detailed on the article. It certainly made me disappointed but not enough to stop watching it.

Yeah, there are days that I'm quite stressed out and doesn't want to watch zombies or murders. I'd go for either comedies or reality shows because they're lighter to watch. And oh, the bickering is my favourite. I love it when contestants argue and fight. Hahahaha!

pwarbi likes this.
  10. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    I really find it hilarious how the British version of the show is usually just ambient noise and voiceovers, but in the US version there's just all this crazy battle music and sounds of knives and animal noises and shit. It makes it watchable!

11. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Hahahaha! I don't know about the British versions but I do watch the American versions. Lol. There is fighting, drama, bickering, crying and all those good stuff. For some it might be too much. But for me, that's what keeps me hooked. They're not just fighting to win, they're fighting for attention as well, lol.

12. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I don't even know why American Idol is still around anymore, but obviously it still makes money so more power to them. I'm not even aware of who the judges are anymore lol. I think it's one of the shows on life support but I suppose it has a chance of going on forever like survivor just because it is already a known brand and probably has a built in core audience.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    That's a bit like the wildlife shows that they do, and it shows the presenter in the middle of the forest as if he's been trekking for days in the most inhuman conditions just to get to a particular animal.

When the camera turns off an helicopter comes down, picks him up and flys him to the nearest 5 star hotel!

14. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Lol, the judges are J. Lo, that Keith Urban guy and that other guy, I think his name is Harry. Haha. I don't even know all of them, I only listened to J. Lo's music growing up. Anyway, I read that it's supposed to be the last season this year. But who knows, they said that last year and it's still going on now. I just feel like Survivor has a more diverse audience and it has worldwide fans. Whereas AI is going downhill, their winners don't even get recognised anymore apart from Kelly Clarkson and even Carrie Underwood is not that recognised anymore.

15. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    You're right, I don't think I've heard of anyone getting press from that show anymore. The last one I heard of was Adam lambert I think and that was ages ago. I used to watch the auditions at first but since the judges have become blander I got bored even with that part.