Question regarding PlayOn and Hulu.

Discussion in 'Help & Resources' started by LeoIrish, Jul 20, 2016.

1. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Does anyone on the forum use PlayOn regularly? If yes – do you use record via Hulu at all? If this answer is also yes, do you pay for a Hulu subscription? If no, have you found it to cause any issues?

I ask the above questions as I purchased a Hulu gift card (before they were banned), and have about two months left on it. As we usually do not stream directly via Hulu – but record from it – I wanted to see if suspending my account would cause any issues with recording via Hulu. I have noticed the size / length of the episodes (ex: most recent episode of Zoo is 49:15 minutes long while the average before was in the 46-minute range) is longer since I suspended the account. But, as we have PlayOn, and paid the extra $10 to skip commercials, this has not been an issue. I have suspended the account for two months to really give this a good test.

My goal is to stretch-out the remaining days of my subscription for as long as possible, and also to help keep me from having to pay monthly for Hulu if I do not need it. My goal with cutting the cord was to see how little I could spend monthly on entertainment, while making sure we can still record the broadcast network shows we want to watch.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    PlayOn's connection to Hulu is pretty solid. Your only issue is going to be that you're going to lose access to certain shows because your subscription gives you more content than when it's free.

After browsing around the Hulu site, I've seen that Hulu is really pushing the paid subscriptions (for obvious reasons. They like money) so you may find free content becoming more and more limited.

4. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I will update as I go through the summer. I can say Casual, a Hulu original, just recorded without any issues. Hopefully, I will be able to record everything new I want, and then I just have to temporarily make my account active so I can record whatever shows I am interested in.

5. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Three things I just found out.

1) Casual recorded before my subscription went back on hold. It appears Hulu changed how things can be done via just using the computer. For me to record this, I needed to resume my subscription.

2) To get the next day airing (or for me - the ability to record them), my subscription needs to be active.

3) If you want to watch any of the cable tier shows, you need to have an active Hulu subscription.

I think I will still suspend my account for a week at a time just to stretch it out during certain periods such as during the summer, but I do not think I can do it for weeks at a time. Darn.