Question about basic cabel cutting

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by John A, Oct 10, 2015.

1. John A

John A New Member

Oct 10, 2015
    My wife and I, are tempted to cut the lifeline with our cable company, but she has one issue I cannot answer. She is used to watching cable news channels, such as NBC news at 6 PM. If we go and ditch the cable provider and go with a DigiXstream box, usine ROKU or Netflix, as well, can she still receive "News", on a continuing basis. I understand, it is "Live Streaming, but how may she tap into the content? Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks ,in advance.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    Ignorance is our bread and butter! That's why we're here!

Most the the streaming news shows are not live, rather they are segments. For live news broadcasts, you pretty much have to have cable or antenna. But, depending on where you are, antenna can be a very viable solution. I get NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC and PBS affiliates in perfect 1080i HD (better even than the HD I get [typically] got from my cable box which was more often than not only 720i).

To watch TV I push Source on the remote and choose TV
    To watch Roku I push Source on the remote and choose HDMI1

No harder than changing a channel.

goto http://tvfool.com/ to find out what's in your area and what kind of antenna you'll need. Lots of folks get away with a picture-frame antenna; not much bigger than a foot square that you can hang off the back of your set. I personally have a closet antenna that cost me about $100.

Wanna know more about streaming news shows, go to their web site and see what they have available. Others here may know more specifics.

Wanna know more about antennas, I'm your huckleberry.

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Agreed. The antenna route sounds like it would most likely satisfy your needs. Pretty much the only live TV worth the hassle of a cable subscription is sports. Actually, scratch that. It's not "worth" the hassle or even the price. We just don't have a viable option for most people at this point.

However, I think once the NFL gets its act together and stops thinking they can get away with charging nearly 70 bucks a month to watch football 3 times a week that will end.

By the way, welcome to the community John!

5. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome!

Second, there is also the option of the CBSN app which runs news 24/7 with commercials to pay for the service. I have it both on my Roku and Fire TV, and I have been very impressed with it to date. Just another option besides the antenna route.

6. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Live local news was the one thing that I worried about, when I initially cut the cord it was not available unless you had an antenna, which I have. Since that time our local stations now stream online so I can watch it live stream or I can watch the replays which is actually pretty darn convenient, since I always seemed to come in mid newscast on the TV. Try checking your local station as it is getting so most of the major networks offer this. If not there are channels on Roku where there are tons of news and weather available, the list is simply massive.

7. Pascual

Pascual Roku private channel seller

Nov 9, 2015
    Hammond, Indiana
    Hey John, I can offer you a free trial of a roku channel that lets you watch more than 300 channels LIVE. It has local channels like cbs, nbc , abc, etc; premium channels like espn, discovery, tnt, msnbc, among many others; premium movie channels like hboc, cinemax, starz, encore; and sports season pass like nfl Sunday ticket , mlb innings, nba league pass, and NHL center ice. If you or anyone is interested please contact me at rokuprivchannel1403@gmail.com and I will provide you a totally free trial, and if you like it only costs $20 a month.