Private Roku Channels?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Diane Lane, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I understand that roku is a device that enables people to stream various channels, but mine hasn't arrived yet, and I'm trying to learn a little about it ahead of time.

I saw MachTV posted somewhere, and at first I thought it was similar to and possible comparable to Sling TV, but now I'm not so sure. I've seen MachTV described as a private roku channel, but I have no idea what that means.

Can someone please help me understand the difference, and how each functions? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I do not have a clue - but you now have me interested. I am hoping someone on the forum does.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    @LeoIrish I found this article on the subject. It's fairly recent, from January 2016, and maybe it will help us learn more about the subject of private roku channels. What's confusing to me is that it seems some of the channels function as providers of multiple types of content. I've only read part of it, but will be reading the whole article soon. Meanwhile, if anyone's using private roku channels, hopefully they will post about their experience.

5. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    @Diane Lane Thank you for the info. I agree - hopefully those using some private Roku channels will post their thoughts so we might have somewhat of a curated list to work from.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    You're welcome, @LeoIrish I should have my roku today or tomorrow. I'm very excited about seeing what it offers, and playing around with it to see how it all works. I don't even have a Netflix or Hulu subscription right now, although I have used Netflix in the past. If I come across any other informative articles about private channels, or decide to subscribe to any, I'll let you know.

LeoIrish likes this.
  7. Barbara Wallace

Barbara Wallace Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    CT
    Private channels are channels that are not in the channel store for one reason or another. My personal opinion is that it is a pain to jump through Roku's hoops to be in the store but unless Roku finds something illegal about the private channel, they allow it. I am posting a link to the streaming advisors list of really good private channels. Agoogle search will bring up many more. Have fun! http://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/roku-private-channels-links/