Plex questions

Discussion in 'Apps & Channels' started by Ken, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Ken

Ken Active Member

Mar 14, 2015
    I have apparently bumped up against my month-long trial limit on Plex on my Roku3 (Although oddly enough, not on my wife's stick yet which shares the same account.) and my service is now locked until I pay for further usage. I have no problems with this, but:

1. Since I am on a fixed income, I am well between paydays and won't be able to submit a payment for 2 more weeks. Will my account stay active?

2. Is this a one-time payment that I've read about, or their "Plex Pass" which it seems like they are steering me towards? Again, I don't begrudge the moderate expected cost for the access provided, I just need to know how to plan for these things.

3. If this is, or if I should opt for the monthly-ish Plex Pass subscription (Later, I may pay the lifetime fee), Will it count on the day I submit payment, or does it retroactively revert to these two weeks that I'm offline from it?

4. I've read about something called "RARflix". Is this a good alternative that is worth the bother? Again, I have no problem contributing to Plex, I'm just considering options for the moment.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Plex on Roku is a one time payment of $5, it has nothing to do with the plex pass and you can actually pay it using your roku account.

Just go in to plex through the roku to pay for it (like any other payed Roku channel)

There are very few reasons to actually get the plex pass. Though Plex offers a great service, it's not necessary.

Once you pay for the channel, as far as I know, it is account wide, and not per device.

I use the Plex Roku channel so if you have any other questions just ask.

4. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    I've been using Plex for about a year now and I love it. I've been pairing it with my a Samsung Smart TV app. The Smart TV interface is otherwise so slow, buggy, flaky and just overall bothersome that I was in the process of buying a Roku and using that instead; I just haven't pulled that trigger yet. I didn't know that there was a fee for the app on Roku. Plex is so good that I would gladly pay the $5 fee, so that in itself won't dissuade me, but I don't what to actually set up an account with Roku wherein they have my credit card info [for my convenience or so they say].

So that kind of kills Roku it for me. I would actually rather buy a lifetime Plex Pass at $150 than give Roku my credit card info for the sole purpose of accommodating that one-time $5 charge.

In a nutshell, I don't like subscription services of any kind wherein my card can be charged automatically. I do it for Netflx and a few others but I want to limit it as much as possible. I'm guessing there's a cumbersome middle-ground to get around that requirement but ... I just needed to vent.

5. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Attaching your card to your Roku account does not allow them to charge you automatically. I've had a roku for 4 years now. They've never done anything with my card other than what I explicitly tell them to do (I've made 2 $5 purchases in that time). The reason why it's done that way is because you really don't want to try and type in your credit card information on a roku screen every time you want to buy something (if you were the type of person that bought movies every week, which I am not). I actually connected my PayPal account and not a credit card to make it even easier.

Also you can remove the card at any time if that's really an issue for you.

I can't imagine paying $150 for a plex membership just to avoid giving Roku credit card info for $5.

6. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    Yea, perhaps I was being a bit dramatic. Okay, you convinced me. No ... really. Kinda. It just so happens that Kid1 and Kid2 decided that Wife1 should buy me (Dad1) a Roku for my 55th birthday. And so she did, with promises of socks and underwear to follow.

I like it. It is smooth. It is far betterestlyer [faster, easier, quicker] than using the dismal Smart TV app that comes with my Samsung TV. I've yet to have it crash once. I press 'Source' rather than the 'Smart Hub' button [that only works on a whim it seems] and I have pretty much the same apps I'm used to. Most important for me currently are Netflix and Plex. Since I was already a [paying] member of both, it cost me nothing. I've lost nothing.

It does make me wonder how a multibillion dollar corp like Samsung can be so clearly outdone by a tiny little device the size of a pillbox. Not only in size but in process. The cost to include that functionality would have be trivial even if they licensed or bought Roku outright. I know they're not stupid but it does make me wonder what objectives they have in mind.

I actually hesitate to push the Smart Hub button on my Samsung remote because I'm afraid the whole TV will crash,.. thus necessitating I get off my lazy ass and reboot it. That hasn't happened once with the Roku.

P.S. If I get rooked with some unauthorized charges because I gave them my CC number then I'm coming bitching at you.

P.P.S. Now, how do I control the volume with the Roku remote!?

P.P.P.S. You gotta love first-world concerns.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    you actually can't control volume with your roku remote except if you have a Roku3 with the earbuds, when you put those in the remote, then you can control volume in the earbuds, but not on the regular TV

The reason why your samsung smartTV might have issues with it's "Smart" is because (I think) the interface isn't exactly there's to begin with. I think they take a standard interface and then put their Samsung spin on it. It's the same thing they do with their phones, taking the android software and then putting their "spin" on it, which actually makes the phones run slower (a lot of times you don't notice due to the fact that phones are pretty fast now in general, but if you don't have their flagship phone you'll definitely see a difference)