Please Protect Your Wi-Fi!

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by HitmanActual, Mar 9, 2014.

1. HitmanActual

HitmanActual Posters

Nov 11, 2012
    I have a friend who goes on and on about how he's not concerned that his wi-fi isn't even secured. It's the usual reasons you hear the lazy/uninitiated use...

- I don't have anything on my network worth taking.
    - If someone sits outside my house stealing wi-fi I'd see them and call the cops!
    - My network signal is so weak inside my house they'd never be able to get on it anyway. They'd have to be inside my house to get a good signal.

Those last 2 are the most concerning to me. As a former Army comms guy, I kinda get RF energy ;).Let me tell you, the bad guy's distance from you isn't a major factor these days. Ham radio operators for example have been able to achieve 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi connections over vast distances (miles and miles) using nothing more than simple dish antennas running on FCC legal power output settings.

wifi_dish_antenna.jpg

Essentially giving them the ability to scan wide areas for open wireless access points. I set up an antenna with a modest 12 dbi gain and I can see WAPs all across town.

It's no joke people. Lock down your Wi-Fi! A bad guy simply sitting on your network capturing password traffic is enough to get them into your email account which can in turn give them access to your online backing account and countless other stuff you have passwords sent to!

I'm just saying, I know we talk about all the fun geeky network video streaming stuff here, but just remember that a little security can go a long way.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Is that a Wok and some rubber bands on a spray paint can lid?! That is hilarious if so. I wasn't sure at first if it was just a picture you grabbed off another site or a picture you took yourself. What exactly did you do to "power up" the antenna? It looks like it's just a USB cord running into the computer from what I can see.

On a similar subject, have you heard about what Comcast is doing? They are basically purposefully making a portion of everyone's router signal "public" so other Comcast subscribers can hop on their signals when passing through their areas. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen - you know people's devices are going to start getting hacked within a short amount of time.

4. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    It isnt common knowledge to use WPA-PSK ? Are you guys serious? They should make passwords mandatory.

5. Peninha

Peninha Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Actually my system enables my net to be a free hub for all users that want to use my signal, without prejudice for the quality of my own signal. I see no harm in that, what's the problem if people want to pick up my signal if I am not worse?

6. Rusky

Rusky Posters

Apr 11, 2014
    Well for one thing, they could be engaging in illegal activities on your network which would come back to bite you in the ass, not them.

7. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I didn't realise that telecommunications technology was so advanced that we could plug in a wok into a laptop and hack into a wireless network :eek:. Which army uses this!? No wonder it took 12 years to find Bin Laden :p

Nowadays all routers from major ISPs will arrive pre-configured with wpa-psk as they couldn't rely on people setting it up themselves. If you can get wireless then your neighbour can probably get a signal (unless you live in a remote detached house). If he decides to download dodgy material, whose connection will he use? Certainly not his own!

8. Rusky

Rusky Posters

Apr 11, 2014
    You didn't know that they caught Bin laden using a saucepan and an apple?

9. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    After watching zero dark thirty i was a bit sceptical on what really happened. It looked too easy on TV and the real special forces soldiers said it was nothing like the actual mission, as it was all done silently with hand signals. Still, it was a great movie even if the finale wasn't exactly the same.

My theory is that they coaxed him out with eating apples then hit him over the head with a saucepan :D

10. Rusky

Rusky Posters

Apr 11, 2014
    They couldn't show that in the movie, and give away all the special forces' top secret apple eating techniques, now could they?

11. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I remember when George Bush was talking about the war in Afghanistan. He said he was going to 'smoke them out' and we all assumed it was blowing wood/coal smoke into caves, what we didn't know is that it was cooking apples tempting them out for some tasty desserts!

There is no internet in those caves so life must have become too boring for him. That luxury compound he was in must have had military grade encrypted networking for him to hide there for so long.