Playon.tv for roku

Discussion in 'Roku' started by thomaspendrake, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Barbara Wallace

Barbara Wallace Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    CT
    As stated in the above post, I have Playon and love it. I use it all the time and I have to say I am not that tech savvy. I also have Plex, I love the interface and the cover art for each show. That being said, the biggest problem I have with Plex is if I watch a half hour show it streams fine. If I watch a one hour show, on Movies 4k, bittorrent, ssplex etc, when it gets down to only 6 or seven minutes left, it starts loading and won't finish the show. I have 60 mbps internet and never have this problem with playon. Can't seem to find an answer to this problem.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Unless you're using a plugin, Playon.TV connects to official sites that host content. The channels you mentioned on Plex are connecting to unofficial sources, so it's sort of a "buyer beware" without the actual "buying part" lol.

That being said. If you are looking for a more reliable source for Plex, download SS Plex through the unofficial app channel. Use it to download movies / tv shows directly to your computer (via the Watch Later) option, and you'll have very good results. It usually only takes a few minutes to download a show depending on the source.

Barbara Wallace likes this.
  4. Barbara Wallace

Barbara Wallace Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    CT
    Thanks, I haven't tried watch later as I didn't know how it worked. Think I'll try it.

5. Glen England

Glen England Member

Mar 21, 2015
    This is a great solution, especially if you have what they used to call PlayLater. You can record shows on Hulu and skip commercials. At least last time I tried you could. Hulu is now charging an additional fee for this. PlayOn has had this for a long time.

6. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I almost jumped for joy when PlayOn sent an email advising you can officially cast to the Fire TV devices. I have now tried it out on both our Fire TV and Fire TV Stick with success (not quite as smooth on the Stick - but it does work). This now solves my problem of not being able to get a good enough signal to truly go OTA. Now, I just have to get rid of the rest of cable!!!!

Barbara Wallace likes this.