Playon.tv for roku

Discussion in 'Roku' started by thomaspendrake, Feb 23, 2014.

1. thomaspendrake

thomaspendrake Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 17, 2013
    florida
    Although there is a small fee, I have found Playon.tv to be a great channel for Roku. You have to download it to a computer connected by LAN to your router. the program streams to your PC and then sends it to your roku. You can use playon directly on your PC or laptop. Playon will allow you to stream free Hulu to your tv through Roku. There are some programs on Hulu that you cannot get on Roku through Hulu+, so it is handy to have both. You can also get CBS shows and a whole lot of other stuff.

Barbara Wallace likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. eskimos44

eskimos44 Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Minnesota
    Playon might be the best thing our family has ever done... They charge about $6 a month or a time payment of $60.... You then download scripts that are made for it... Our favorites are ProjectFreeTV, One Channel, and VeeHD... Every TV show and movie are available to watch anytime... We watched Frozen last weekend. I watched Lone Survivor on my TV while the movie had just been released into theatres... All cable TV shows are available the day after they air... Check it out, you won't be disappointed...

4. SharkyJones

SharkyJones Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 27, 2014
    For the price, PlayOn was way way worth it, I've watch movies before they are even out on DVD or On-Demand, between that, Netflix and a decent antenna my total cost to watch dam near anything I want is like $15 a month at the most (Not counting Internet service, which I would be paying for anyways)!!

eskimos44 likes this.
  5. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Moved this to the Roku section since it's not a "Where To Watch" question.

But I have a question :) I'm not a Hulu user anymore so excuse my ignorance but, you're saying there are shows on Hulu that they specifically don't allow you to played on Roku?

6. eskimos44

eskimos44 Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Minnesota
    No, I don't have Hulu... This is for Playon.TV
    You download it to your computer and add it to your Roku... It can also run on an Xbox and a Playstation.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

7. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Ya its interesting and does seem a bit better on the surface then it actually is but id say its still worth it.
    I did pay extra for the Playlater feature and I have really enjoyed being able to record from Hulu and fast forward through the commercials.
    Also recording from something like ProjectfreeTV is a good way to beat the buffering , a slight dip in quality but worth the convenience.

8. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    For those using Playon.. I see the mention of these scripts that allow you to watch content from USA, Bravo, etc.

My question is are these the actually channels or content from the website streamed to your TV?

9. NomolosSlatner

NomolosSlatner New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    This thread is pretty old at this point, but I recently acquired PlayOn, so I'll respond.

To answer your question: both.

There appear to be scripts (AKA plugins) to fetch archived content, both from network websites, and from private -- and possibly dubious -- sites.

The scripts access content in exactly the same way that you would, using your browser; the scripts simply automate the process of accessing the site, and authenticating (if required).

As I'm sure you know, a paid cable TV service is required to access content from many cable TV networks. The Playon scripts have the same limitations, i.e. they will not work, unless you provide your subscription details for the script to pass to the websites. But, because no such restriction exists with the OTA network websites (NBC, CBS, etc.), the scripts can access them without a TV cable subscription.

On the other hand, other scripts purport to provide content from the subscription-only networks, including the premium channels like HBO. These "underground" scripts are not so underground; they're freely available from popular sites like playonscripts.com. Additionally, there are many scripts which allow you to pull down movies and television shows, all for free. (If you download a script and open it an a text editor, you will see that it accesses servers located in China, Taiwan, etc.) Legal? What do you think? ;)

If you don't mind some legal risk (which is probably virtually nil), then this all sounds great, yes? Except most of the scripts simply don't work.

If you search for scripts, you'll find that most of them have long been abandoned by their developers; the vast majority have not been updated since 2012. If you've ever clicked on links on a website that has not been modified in a few years, then you know the likelihood of these ancient scripts finding still-viable links when they "click" on them.

This is not to say that all of the scripts are useless. Some have been updated within the past few months, e.g. OneChannel, which was updated this past September. But even the OneChannel script is partially nonfunctional, due to out-of-date links.

As some of the PlayOn reviews have pointed out, the real strength of PlayOn is its extensibility through plugins. However, without an active community of script developers, PlayOn's best feature is effectively negated ... and the PlayOn plugin development community is anything but active.

I've been using PlayOn on my Roku for a few weeks now. Honestly, the software is not bad. But without a decent repository of functioning plugins, it just does not offer enough additional functionality beyond Roku's native functionality to justify the cost, IMO. For that reason, I will likely exercise the money back guarantee on this product before it expires. :(

-IAmHe

10. Kristinnm

Kristinnm New Member

Feb 5, 2015
    PlayOn has had a lot of updates since this thread was first started. If it wasn't for PlayOn for my Roku, I never would have been able to cut the cord!

It's true that a lot of private scripts are abandoned, but the most important ones work very well and are constantly updated with working links. I pretty much disabled all of the standard/official channels that come pre-loaded with Roku and PlayOn. My Roku has just the Netflix, Amazon and PlayOn channels.

Once PlayOn is launched on the Roku, I've disabled most of the pre-loaded "official" channels and added the "private scripts" for 1Channel, Project Free TV, Ice Films and VIP Box2 (live streaming sports) from playonscripts.com. The first 3 all act very much like Hulu, where the shows are uploaded a day or so after they air. Most also have current movies, as well. (We stick with watching only those also available on DVD. Movies that are on there that are still in theaters are poor quality bootlegs that look like they were filmed on someone's cell phone in the theater.) There are very few shows that you can't find on those channels (they have to be pretty obscure of they aren't found.)

For live streaming, the new PlayMark feature is pretty cool. Find something live streaming on the web, use the PlayOn browser extention to "mark" it and add it to your PlayMark folder. When you pull that folder up on your Roku, you can watch the live streams right there. You can find very many network and basic cable channels live streaming for free on 2 main websites (just Google the channel name + "live streaming" and you'll want an ad blocker browser extention enabled.) I've found all of the major networks plus TNT, TBS, USA, History, Travel Channel, Food Network, Nat Geo, FOX News, MSNBC, CNN, SyFy, OWN, Nickelodeon, Disney, PBS, Cartoon Network, AMC, A&E, FX and more. Even some of our local news stations that live stream their news casts! I saved all of the streams to my PlayOn with PlayMark (each in their own subfolder with the channel name) and can pull the live feeds up on my Roku any time. There are occasional downtimes, but they work more often than not. And who needs live streaming 24/7 when you can find any show you want and watch it at any time? lol

If you don't want to do the work adding the live streaming and keeping it updated occasionally yourself, there is a private script called SuperUSVoxTV that is a one-time $5 (although, it's tricky figuring out how to get it. You follow the link on the playonscripts.com entry and make a donation, then they email you a code to download it. However, it's not very clear to do that on the entry.) That basically creates a sub-channel that has all of the live streaming links and they keep it fairly updated. Their main website even has a place to check to see which streams are down.

So, I have the lifetime PlayOn subscription and I couldn't be happier to no longer be paying $200 a month for cable (and that was without any premium channels) and still have access to all of my favorite shows - plus quite a few live streaming channels. I paid around $60 for lifetime PlayOn with PlayLater, but they often have sales. I got a Roku stick AND lifetime PlayOn with PlayMark plus HD for around $100 as a Christmas gift for my mother this year.

Hope this helps anyone who may come across this thread! :)

Mockingbird likes this.
  11. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    This is actually a very good post, I watch project free TV on my laptop and have wondered how I could get this to the television, although truth be told the picture quality is better on my laptop. I did not realize all I need was Play On. I have been wracking my mind on how I was going to make this work.

I am a bit puzzled by your comment on how you added streaming stations, I am making the assumption these are not actually network domains? You are finding other streams and that's what you are marking? Play On says it has access to many stations but it seems this might be limited access?

12. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    I have a question - you say that it works through your computer to your TV. Can you use the computer at the same time that you're watching a play.on show on TV? Is there a physical connection from the computer to the TV (I don't have a smart TV)?

13. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    There is no physical connection and yes, as long as your computer is fairly powerful you can do other things on it while someone is watching PlayOn through a Roku device. You won't even notice PlayOn running on the computer. I never do.

Though this thread started out pretty old and PlayOn has of course advanced a great deal since its inception and I use it, I can honestly say. I would not recommend it for 90%.

PlayOn is spotty at best for anything other than the major networks (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, CW, etc.) and regular Hulu (which is neat but honestly if you have Hulu Plus, which I do, even if you know you can get some shows through regular Hulu through PlayOn, you probably still won't use i PlayOn to get to them.).

Honestly if you have Hulu Plus, there is very little you're getting extra through PlayOn from Hulu or the major networks that you can't get through Hulu Plus. For us the main thing is Big Bang Theory which is not available anywhere to view except the CBS website. I use PlayOn specifically for that and a few other shows (Scorpion comes to mind) that CBS hoards only on their site. You don't need that stupid $5 a month CBS all access pass either because it's still free through their site. PlayOn lets you view it on your TV through your Roku.

It's interface is clunky, it's hard to search for and find things in the intuitive way that the native apps give you. (using Hulu through PlayOn for example can be frustrating especially if you're used to the Hulu website or Hulu Plus) and it's hit or miss with anything that requires a Television provider access (but if you're a cord cutter then way would you need to worry about those channels anyway).

I will say that PlayLater is useful and it's basically how I use PlayOn for the most part. I use PlayLater to record shows that I may want to watch later and don't want to worry about the site expiring the show before I get a chance to watch. But even this comes with problems. For reasons I've yet to figure out, sometimes you can't access the ability to record shows by using PlayOn through your roku device, so I end up having to go to my computer to use the PlayLater interface there. Also if you have an extensive library of recordings, PlayLater doesn't make it easy at all to organize them. I actually use Plex to view my PlayLater recordings because the Plex interface is much better and easier to use for the casual user (like my wife) to find a show and watch it.

PlayOn and PlayLater, if you buy the lifetime subscription and catch one of their MANY sales can be worth it. I may not use it a lot, but I only paid for it once (kind of like my antenna.) It is NOT for everyone though, it's not for people who don't have patience or a fairly decent technical background. It requires tinkering at times, it's constantly being updated, and it can be cumbersome. It's good for some things definitely, and I'm not bashing it. I DO use it, but it's far from a mainstream product.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I started looking at PlayOn and PlayLater, because I saw people here mentioning it. From what I've seen on the site, it's come a long way from when it first started, and I was getting excited, but then I read olandir's post, and I'm thinking it might not be a necessity for me, at least until I'm more advanced with my cord cutting, and become acquainted with roku and huluplus. Again with the CBS show hoarding...ugh. I might end up with that blasted app, but, for now I'm not getting it.

15. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    PlayOn / PlayLater is a mixed bag. I don't have any animosity toward it (like, it's not like the creators or horrible or they make an awful product... I don't even necessarily think their pricing is off). I just don't think it's good for Cord Cutters in general... there are some instances though where it is good for cord cutters, and probably a great option (especially PlayLater).

i just think for the casual user, there are probably better options.

They have definitely come a long way... but I think they need to come a ways further before they become a ubiquitous service that a majority would use.

If your biggest thing is getting access to CBS shows though... either get the app like you said... or if you want to do it the free way, use Plex. Plex is similar to PlayOn in that it uses your computer as a pass through, but it's free. You only pay a ONE TIME FEE of $5 for the Roku app, and it has a CBS channel you can easily download and watch CBS channels... it's interface is far better than PlayOn's. and it has a lot of other features once you get into it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  16. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    Ok, thanks, I'll probably re-read these threads once I actually do cut the cord and get the Roku, and will check out Plex then. I'm really looking forward to that day.

17. ptimkey

ptimkey Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    PlayOn has been no help to me so far but hope to sync with my PC soon. have had good results with PlayLater
    It is clunky and hard to navigate but is a great way to get programing for later view. As stated before, I cannot stream programming and have no TV. It has been a challenge but I learn everyday something new.

18. Kristinnm

Kristinnm New Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Yes, you find the channels streaming live somewhere online. There are 2 sites I know of for certain that stream channels live. One recently changed it's format and PlayMark no longer works with it. Another does, but has only 10 or so channels, although they include the majors (ABC, NBC, etc) and a few cable channels like AMC, TNT, TBS, USA, etc.

The other one has dozens of network, cable and pay TV channels live streaming, but it no longer works with PlayMark because they added a captcha. However, if you sign up for their premium subscription ($9.99 a month to $15.99 a month, depending on whether you go month-to-month or prepay for the year) they now have a PlayOn script that let's you access all of their streams via PlayOn. Premium gets you access to more cable channels and HD channels.

19. Kristinnm

Kristinnm New Member

Feb 5, 2015
    You can stream PlayOn from your computer through your web browser by using the mobile site. Go to http://m.playon.tv/ on the PC and log into your server from there.

20. Kristinnm

Kristinnm New Member

Feb 5, 2015
    I'm relatively internet and computer savvy, but honestly couldn't figure out Plex, lol! I found PlayOn to be far easier to understand and load private scripts, like 1Channel. The 1Channel script gives you access to everything, including CBS shows (usually the day after they air.)

From my experience, using a network-authorized app you still need to have a cable provider to log in with? I can access any of the Roku or PlayOn "official" channels (ie. CBS, History, Lifetime) and see some programs, but to see ALL of the content (and usually the most recent episodes) you can get access only after providing your cable provider access code.

The best part about PlayOn is the private scripts/plugins. They allow you to bypass the official channels. I don't use any of the "preloaded" channels in PlayOn. I use 4 private scripts/plugins: 1Channel (the best for ALL TV episodes and the latst DVD movie releases), Project Free TV (similar to 1Channel), VIP Box2 (live streaming sports) and StreamLive.to (live streaming network and cable channels).

If you're not using private scripts on PlayOn, I agree it's pointless, especially if you already have HuluPlus, Netflix and/or Amazon. (Although the PlayLater and PlayMark can be handy.) It's those private scripts that allowed me to cut the cord completely, without missing a single TV show or game. With those scripts, we have access to more TV and movie content than we did when we had cable! (I also pay for Netflix and Amazon. PlayOn just lets me see everything sooner.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  21. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    @Kristinnm I am going to write a guide soon on how to setup Plex. It's a really great program, and I think if you set it up right, you'll find that even getting access to stuff like 1channel is so much better and easier, and you'll be spoiled. :)

Having gotten PlayOn and used it like you and then gotten Plex... the difference is night and day.