Older Versions Of Apple TV Still Worth It?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Haruka, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I'm thinking of buying a second hand older version of Apple TV because I just want something simple to use with my ipad and I'm not sure if I need the bells and whistles of the newer models and if I'd much rather not spend too much on it. Obviously the older the model I get to purchase the cheaper I'd have to pay so I am looking for some advice on which of the older versions would be best to settle with. If any of these older models have persistent problems or too much limitations I'd probably just wait a while longer and earn some more to spend on the latest one, so hopefully you guys could chime in and help me decide.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I have a friend with an older model, and he does not plan on updating for a few reasons. 1 - Money. 2 - He could care less about playing games via his streaming box. 3 - No 4K support. Since he is happy with the current performance (yes - would like faster - but is ok with it for now), and 4K is not offered, he sees no reason to upgrade. 4 - No other compelling reason to make a change.

I should note I recently purchased a Roku 3 versus a Roku 4 simply because I did not see an advantage if buying the more expensive box. I do not have a 4K TV in the house, and the newer box did not do anything for me the older one could not.

4. MyTVStreams

MyTVStreams MyTVStreams.com

Jan 21, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Gen 3 would be as far back as I'd go - I wouldn't go back to gen 2, unless you are getting it REAL cheap..

It just really comes down to what you are using it for. I'll say this for pretty much any streaming device: if you only want to use it to watch TV/videos, then anything made in the last few years will suffice.

You mention using it with your iPad, so I assume you want to use AirPlay. That will work for you regardless of model. If you are looking at gen 2, you may run into certain apps not working since it can't run the latest iOS for Apple TV.

Personally, I like to buy the newer versions of devices, after they have been out for a little while - they typically have better specs than the older ones. It may seem like a lot of money, but how much time will you spend using it? If you paid it hourly, I bet it'd be a darn cheap laborer! But again - in this case, if you just watch videos, I don't think you can go wrong.