Nintendo Wii: streaming services and children

Discussion in 'Gaming Consoles' started by kh6912, Mar 23, 2015.

1. kh6912

kh6912 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    I have used Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video on our Wii, mostly for my kids. I wanted to talk about some of my favorite features and some not-so-favorites.

Netflix is a great option if you have multiple people watching different types of shows. Netflix on the Wii allows you to take advantage of the user profile feature, which definitely comes in handy when you don't want Dora the Explorer cluttering up your sci-fi recommendations. The Wii makes Netflix easy to access and fun to use.

While Netflix has a great selection of kid shows itself, Hulu is my preferred service for kids. I love that you have the option to browse by age group. My 7 year old loves to find "baby shows" for her infant sister, and Hulu makes that easy. You don't need to be worried about ads either-- they don't show ads during children's programming! The Wii version of Hulu has kind of a cluttered feel, in my opinion, but it's easy enough for an older child to figure out.

Amazon Instant Video is my least favorite, simply because the free to watch shows are mostly already available on either Netflix or Hulu. Amazon does offer plenty of paid or rental episodes and movies that aren't offered for free anywhere, though, which is a nice feature. I'm not too thrilled with the Wii version, simply because it's far too easy for kids to "accidentally" order paid movies or shows. The layout and interface are about as tricky as Hulu.

I would highly recommend the Netflix application on the Wii, especially if you plan to let your kids use it. Hulu is great if you want to maybe spend a few minutes teaching your child to navigate it, and Amazon Instant Video might be better suited for use by adults only.