Nintendo running out of ideas?

Discussion in 'Gaming Consoles' started by hdm210, Nov 5, 2012.

1. hdm210

hdm210 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was one of the first popular gaming systems to come to life. Then came the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). Another breakthrough in gaming technology, with original games such as Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart. Then the N64 came out in 1996. Mario Kart 64, Pok?©mon Stadium, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are just some of the awesome games for this console. Then the Gamecube came. Many favorites such as Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and Super Mario Sunshine filled Gamecube gamers days with fun experiences. But then in 2006, the Wii came out. Really, Nintendo? Wii Sports? It's fun for the first couple of minutes and then it is almost unplayable. Your character consists of four bubbles. One egg for the body, a sphere for the head, and two other spheres for hands. It is fun for little children and casual gamers, but it just isn't up to older Nintendo system standards. Now, the Wii U is coming out in 13 days. Why would they continue with the same system that (in my opinion) ruined their games? I hope that they make the Wii U much better than the Wii ever was, and make it fun for both hardcore and casual gamers.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    To be fair,Nintendo's target audience has always been kids. They of course noticed that adults still love to play some of their classic titles and the Wii fit is of course targeted at adults that want a fun easy way to exercise (or at least get their kids to).

The Wii U actually does look like a more mature offering so I plan to wait and see. We have a Wii and my kid barely touches it :D

4. BigBigFan

BigBigFan Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 3, 2012
    We have a wii as well and the kids don't like the motion sensor controller and they hate to have to use it to even get a game playing in the menu system. I think Nintendo gambled on a few things along the way and got some things wrong, like just targeting kids.

Nintendo was invented as a card company in 1889 if I remember correctly and they made the right moves but seem to have peaked, unless they can come up with both innovations and a robust gaming platform people just have to own. They have neither right now.

Shigeru Miyamoto is 60 now, do you think he can come up with one more hit before he retires?

5. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 5, 2012
    You're right. Nintendo was indeed originally a card company. And as for the motion controls. you guys are right. I've been trying to tell people for the longest time now. The Wii didn't sell for its controller. It sold because it was dirt cheap. Because if it had either the PS3 or the 360 price, it wouldn't have sold even a tenth as good as what it did.

But now that novelty has worn off and they're hoping this second screen tablet idea will catch on. Nintendo may be running out on ideas. But lucky for them they have Mario that will sell enough to pull them out of any jam they may get into.

6. Ralexa

Ralexa Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    To be fair, every company has it's share of good ideas and it's share of bad ideas.

I don't have a Wii in my household, but my teenage son seems to enjoy it some when he plays it with a friend, or when we go into a GameStop and they have one set up for people to play.

My question to you is, if Wii was in your control to change, what would you do differently? You talk about the 4 bubbles, which seems to be a source of contention with you about the game, so obviously you would change that in some type of way, but are their other things that you would do?

My son always has some kind of innovative way that he would change something, like when he watches movies, or reads anime, he'll say the lighting could be different, or the camera work could be different, or the drawing is off...stuff like "In this shot they could have held the camera still, and then panned up and around..."

I have not asked him if he would change anything about the Wii, but I'm sure that if I ask him, he has some suggestions in mind.

This thread is really informative to me, because I thought that the Wii was wildly popular, but then again, I've never done any research about the popularity of it, or about any complaints people might have about it.

As far as Nintendo running out of ideas, no I don't think that they are running out. After all, Wii is an idea. From the sounds of this thread, It may not have lived up to the expectations of people, but it is still an idea. A company like Nintendo pays people to come up with ideas, so I'm sure someone there will come up with something. What it will be, and how successful it will be remains to be seen.

7. hdm210

hdm210 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    The wii was VERY popular for the first two years, and then it went downhill.

I have no idea. We could maybe just have a little less of the "mii" idea. I don't really understand that. You should ask your son though, maybe he'll come up with something good :)

8. smlewis00

smlewis00 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 7, 2014
    George is right that Nintendo's target audience has always been kids. Years later, I think it still is!
    I still have my super nintendo from when I was younger. My two nieces, ages 4 and 6 love to play on it! You still have to blow the dust out of the games. :)
    The Wii U looks pretty cool. I am anxious to hear user reviews on it. If the reviews are good, then it may be time to update the old super nintendo. :)

9. mrboo

mrboo Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I know this thread is kinda old, but it's sad how I thought this was a new thread... and it's 3 years past it's time of posting. :(

Granted, I love Nintendo. I mean, look at my avatar! I am a Nintendo fan at heart. However, I just feel like there isn't really a lot left to do with Nintendo unless it's a rehashing of an older game. I'm all for reboots or sequels (Zelda Wii U anyone? Still waiting for it...), but I want more original stuff! I still need to get Splatoon and Bayonetta, but that's about it. //shrugs