New here, Planning the cord-cut strategy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by moosie, Apr 9, 2016.

1. moosie

moosie New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    I haven't cut the cord yet, but I'm getting closer. If I could put some final puzzle pieces together, I'd do it.

We already have the Rokus. We're trying to find the best way to replace our current content on the Roku, commercial free. We watch CBS, NBC, a bit of ABC and FOX, Food, HGTV, and Hallmark.

I think we're good with NBC and maybe ABC and Fox, via Hulu.

How to get the rest of the channels? CBS seems like the stumbling block.

I don't mind spending a bit (we'll save $100 by dumping Charter phone and TV), and we already subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu (commercial free), and Acorn (british stuff).

If there's a better place to ask this, feel free to redirect me.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all – welcome to the group! Hopefully, you will find out everything you need on the forum. I know I have learned a bunch.

Food & HGTV: I do see they are both on Sling TV.

Hallmark: I know they have an online streaming service for their movies ($3.99 monthly / $23.99 annually). Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

CBS: Are you looking to watch live TV? Record? Both? If you are looking for live TV, depending upon where you live, an inexpensive antenna could be the answer. If you are looking to record / watch shows later, then it comes down to what you want versus what you are willing to spend. There are several good devices out there (ex: TiVo / Tablo), you could subscribe to their service @ $6.99 monthly, or record via software on your computer (ex: PlayOn). Each of them have their own pluses and minuses, so it really comes down to what you want.

Did that help?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. moosie

moosie New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm not sure if I found the Hallmark source. I just installed the Feeln Roku channel, which looks like it's the Hallmark streamer. Said "fees may apply", but nowhere could I see how much. Hmm. I signed up on my desktop, perhaps the Roku itself will show the fee.

I did see that Sling has Food and HG. I don't think we need anything else from Sling, which makes their $20/mo pretty expensive.

If I did use Tivo, etc for CBS, wouldn't I still need cable TV to get the content?

Historically we've DVRed everything from Cable TV, so that we could watch on demand, and skip commercials. I want to dump cable, and their DVR boxes. Ideally, I'd be able to get all the channels we watch on the Roku, with current episodes published within a week of air date, and available for at least a couple weeks. Everything would be commercial free (willing to pay something for that), and it would all be cost effective, meaning I wouldn't have to buy a big bundle to get one or two channels (hey, I already do that with cable TV!).

Lots of details to tweak, and things like the Hallmark pointer help a lot. But CBS is a big provider in our house, and I'm not seeing a way to stream it commercial free. I'd pay their $6 All-Access in a heartbeat if no commercials. I'd even grudgingly pay $10. Any other source for this content?

5. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    If you had a TiVo (or another DVR) connected to an antenna, then you do not need cable. But, a TiVo box is just a DVR box in the end, and needs input to be able to record. Depending upon what you want to spend, it might be out of the range.

For us, our problem is we cannot get a clear enough signal for all of the broadcast networks. We get three of them pretty well (ABC / CBS / CW), but NBC is fair and we do not receive Fox at all. As such, we went with PlayOn which is software to record straight to your computer, and then you stream the content to whatever device you desire. The current price is $49.99 - and I paid an additional $10 to skip ads. I setup subscriptions to record mainly from Hulu and CBS - and they usually record the following day. For ourselves, we have been pretty happy with it.

6. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    For CBS, you can look at CBS All Access ($6/mo I think). Some areas can get live broadcasts. Also, most of their major series' are available on demand. I have a strong OTA signal for CBS but have no DVR capabilities yet. I have Hulu, Amazon, Sling, Showtime, HBO and Netflix and am still saving about $100/month from what I was paying Directv.

7. moosie

moosie New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Thanks, but again, CBS A-A is not commercial free. That's my stumbling block at this point. I think most if not all everything else we need is doable, for total cost that is a good savings. But we won't jump w/o CBS. Darn it.

8. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I have not looked at Roku, but I did check out CBS online (not all-access), and you are able to view recent episodes (with commercials). Just an FYI.

9. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I'm with you on the commercials. I love Hulu's commercial free option. I haven't tried CBS A-A, so I didn't know if FFWD worked on the ON DEMAND stuff. Probably not. That's my biggest complaint with SlingTV. You have to watch the commercials. Do some research on Playon. I believe it lets you record shows from these apps (like CBS) and then use the Playon features to FFWD through the commercials.

10. moosie

moosie New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    PlayOn looked good, until I read "Windows only". I haven't used Windows since 1995.

Media servers in general are a brand new topic to me. Not sure if this is too deep a rabbit hole. I fear by the time I'm done figuring it all out with Plex, or some other Mac/Linux alternative, buying more storage, managing it all, and then STILL not having PlayOn's cool-sounding AdSkip feature, I might be better off with the cable company's DVR. The ONLY issue I'm having is price. The service and technology works perfectly.

11. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    My only suggestion at this point, if you are thinking PlayOn is the way to go, is to consider an inexpensive Windows PC as a DVR investment.

Have you tried an antenna to see what you receive via OTA? Have you gone online to see what channels you should receive if you had an antenna?

12. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    I would go with an antenna and a DVR to get CBS, then you won't need Hulu either.