New Ghostbusters Movie

Discussion in 'What To Watch' started by Haruka, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    An example of a cult classic that was remade the right way was planet of the apes. I was really surprised with how well that one turned out and the sequel just sealed it even further for me. I know the story is a bit cliche but honestly I don't know what I would have done differently to make it better. Although I guess this is a bit different since it is a prequel instead of a remake technically.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Another more recent one is Mad Max, that's another film that's had the makeover treatment and while I wasn't a fan of the original movie, if I'm being honest, the new one as even won a couple of Oscars recently.

Not that an Oscar winning films automatically makes it any good, in my opinion as I've seen a lot of award winners that I've thought have been...Well, rubbish for want of a better word!

4. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    YES. I love the Ape remakes. They're amazing. Can probably chalk that up to Andy Serkis more than anything - that guy knows how to both humanize digital characters while keeping them true to their roots. The apes in those films outshine the humans in pretty much every scene.

5. ThroughFibers

ThroughFibers Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I think this is a moderately terrible idea, because they basically changed the premise of what made the series good. I can understand if they are catering to a larger female fan base, feminists or expecting housewives to encourage their husbands to go, but I strongly believe that as soon as you start changing the ingredients to something that was already successful (see: TMNT being aliens and then being dropped due to bad response), you are just gambling on a new series to try to cater to markets.

6. morgoodie

morgoodie Member

Feb 28, 2016
    I have not really got into this too much but have heard of it. I do not think that it something that I would be interested in watching it. I loved the original and I hate when they remake movies as they hardly ever do them justice. I am all for females being given roles like these but are they really going to be able to beat the original characters and make you like them as well.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    To me it also seems as though they're not actually trying to make a remake, but just make a female version of the original, and I can't keep thinking, well what's the point?

Surely making a new film would have been the better option, and the female cast could have been...I don't know? The daughters of the original cast carrying on where their fathers left off, that kind of thing might have worked better.

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Trailer!

I think it looks pretty good, honestly. At most it's a soft reboot that looks like it doesn't negate the original films. I'm cool with that. Cast seems to have chemistry, too. Amazing amount of hate for it in the comments, though.

9. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Ok - this might be funny. Still not sure I am going to go to the theater and watch it, but I will once it comes to the library.