New Ghostbusters Movie

Discussion in 'What To Watch' started by Haruka, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I know a lot of the hardcore ghostbusters fans initially hated the idea of turning all the characters into females and I'm not sure they have warmed up to it by now and although I personally don't mind at all as long as the movie is good. I feel their marketing / PR department is just doing a terrible job at helping the cause though.

First off, they allowed this picture to happen:

[​IMG]

And second, they make a trailer to a trailer showing nothing but cops and their logo, and because of that It seems like many are hating it and as I'm writing this, the video has 6k thumbs up, and 7k thumbs down.

What do you guys think of all of this so far? What do you think of this teaser?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    To be honest, when I heard about the reboot / sequel (whatever it is), I was really not all that intrigued. That is before I even knew about the gender aspect - which I could care less about. At the moment I really do not have much of an opinion only because I really have not followed it.

4. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    I think the gender aspect of it sort of kills off the mood. I've always seen Ghost Busters as a group of guy nerds, and that's what made it fun. I'm afraid that they're gonna reduce it to some sort of stupid chick flick.

By the way, you can expect some joke about the fat girl having trouble getting into her overalls. It's so predictable.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I'm for it. I've been waiting for a new Ghostbusters film for a while, and it's pretty obvious the originals aren't going to do it (considering one of them is now gone), so why not hand it off to a group of women? As long as they're funny I'm cool with the gender flop. Hell, I don't care what gender they are, so long as the writing is good. Solid writing shouldn't rely that much on an actor's sex anyway. Also interested to see Chris Hemsworth do something other than Thor, because he looks so damned amused in every picture I've seen of him in this movie.

Part of me also wants to see it in spite of fans of the series who are boycotting the film for silly, stupid reasons. I've seen people poo-pooing it because the outfits look different, for pity's sake. Let go of the past, guys.

6. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I personally could care less about the gender - I just have not seen anything which suggests the movie will be funny. Of course, most of what is "funny" is quite subjective. If a another trailer or two is released, and I think it is funny, I will give it a chance.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    The gender of the cast doesn't really worry me either to be honest, and the simple, only reason even that I won't want to watch it, is because as far as I can remember, the orginal was the first film I ever watched at the cinema.

You could say that for me it holds happy childhood memories, and for that reason alone I don't think it should be messed with.

8. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I think that's how most people feel about it as well. I myself don't hold it as dearly as others so I'm not too attached to it so I'm more willing to just watch this movie for fun. That's only if it's good though, but if they make it overly self aware and constantly commenting on how it's so different just because of a female cast then I'd probably be put off.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    The problem is though is that I think that's already begun, and I haven't heard or seen one comment yet about this new movie, when they haven't already mentioned the gender of the cast, so it's already becoming more significant than the actual film itself, it seems.

10. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I believe there's a full trailer slated to come out in March. The only footage they've really shown so far - that I've seen, anyway - is this teaser, which makes it look more like an action movie than anything. They really should've gone with a more humorous angle, 'cause this teaser looks very meh.

11. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    This is true. I think they have had to be a bit more defensive because of the initial reaction of fans but I don't think that is reason enough because if they were confident with the product then they could just rely on the merits of the movie itself. From the looks of the marketing so far it does seem like they have only a shallow understanding of what fans are hating about an all female cast replacement.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Remakes of a movie are usually a bit risky anyway, as they divide the older generations who remember the movie the first time round and the new.

Ghostbusters as become a bit of a cult classic in a lot of people's eyes, and that's going to impact on the popularity of this movie to begin with, as people think it shouldn't have been touched.

What's next, a remake of E.T. or jaws? Sometimes I just think there's certain movies that shouldn't be remade, and this is one of them, no matter who directs it or who the cast is.

13. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    Personally I think any remake can work as long as it's done by someone skillful and can respect the source material, but sadly it's not something the studios seem to prioritize as most of the time even the bare minimum works just as well. For example, as much as I don't like to admit it I did like the new Robocop and I would pay to see the sequel even though I could see why people think it was just a blander version of the original, since it did feel very calculated and corporate. I think this reboot could have worked or maybe it can still work but there are probably other ways that would have made fans a little less skeptical.

One of the titles that I think would be the most difficult to remake is Back to the Future because it's just too iconic. Even more so than Robocop or ghostbusters, in my opinion.

14. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I read a while ago that the creator of Back to the Future hold the rights to the franchise in some form, and he'll have to die before the films ever get remade. So you have that to protect the films, at least.

As for Ghostbusters, I'm still kinda hoping that this new groups is just a branch in a larger ghostbusting franchise, and the original dudes are still out there somewhere. The idea that ghostbusting is not restricted to New York appeals to me.

15. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I heard that too and I am kind of glad that BTTF won't get mangled like so many other titles but another part of me is curious to see how they would even go about it to be honest. I'm actually curious enough to see it happen but I'm okay with it just remaining as is. I don't know what to expect from this version of ghostbusters as they haven't released a single bit of info even though they are so close to release, but I just hope they don't try to force the macho woman trope at least I hope they do it well because those always come off as cringey to me.

16. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    The main problem is that studios aren't willing to release movies without the backing of a brand name, because the brand is a form of security. But the moment you return to an older brand it becomes a 'reboot', and the fans of the old stuff start to freak out. I prefer the 'soft' reboot approach, personally, where you take the original concept - perhaps even continue the original universe - but apply new stories. Full-on reboots with the same characters and the same situations are so boring.

As for the Ghostbuster ladies, yeah, it's weird how little information has been released so far. I'm hoping they write the actors as essentially gender-neutral in most respects, aside from the occasional joke. Gender stereotypes do not make for good stories.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    We can also all argue and disagree with each other for days as to what films should and shouldn't be remade as we all have our different tastes.

Personally I'm not really a fan of the back to the future trilogy and if they wanted to do a remake then fine, they can go ahead for me because I wouldn't watch it anyway. Now...if they touched a film like Scarface then I'd be the first person writing a strongly worded email!

18. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I hope you have Gmail open...

pwarbi likes this.
  19. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    Agreed. I am a fan of BTTF but not really obsessive about it like most people are. I was the same way with Robocop which is why I think I was able to like the reboot a little more than the average fan. I disliked a lot of the choices made with this new one too but all in all I think it had some great scenes in it and it worked well enough as a reboot. Scarface would probably be one of the harder ones to pull off too and I think I came across some rumors that it was being planned to be remade. I think movies like that and Godfather would be very difficult to replicate.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    It will never happen! And even if it does I know that I won't be watching it!

Having said that though, I enjoyed the movie 'the Kray's' and when I found out they was making Legend I wasn't amused but...I have to admit I did enjoy that film and Tom Hardy played a fantastic role of both brothers so you never know!

21. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm with you on that, and its the fact that they've achieved cult and classic status, that's why they will be hard to match. I think in some circumstances thryvcan 've remade and it can work, but they'll always be compared to the original, and so they have to be very good, bordering on 10/10 before they'll even get an ounce of praise.