New Details on Hulu’s Live TV Streaming Service (Now At a Lower Price)

Discussion in 'Hulu' started by LeoIrish, Jun 30, 2016.

1. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    http://cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-lowering-price-new-live-tv-service/

Without a doubt, a very interesting possibility. As a Big Ten fan, seeing the BTN available in the offerings is a big deal to me since all of the football games are either on the BTN, ESPN, or Fox. Plus, seeing Fox Sports and ESPN on the same lineup is a big plus as well.

For those using Sling TV or Vue, what are your thoughts? If Hulu can really deliver this, does this modify where you spend your money?

With the exception of CFB season, I doubt I will subscribe to anything / anywhere. But, this might get my money for a few months out of the year.

Lost in Delaware and Double D like this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    These packages seem awesome. Does anyone know if we would still need our current $11.99 membership?

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  4. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    See, at those prices and to not have local channels is a deal breaker. At that point, it would be Playstation Vue all the way or back to cable. Hopefully, by the time Hulu comes out with it, either Sling TV has local and DVR or Vue has the IP issue fixed, a menu in Roku, and the DVR issue fixed.

Of course, Xfinity/Comcast should have their OTT service out by then too, which if they price it right and don't require contracts will blow them all away.

LeoIrish likes this.
  5. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Okay seriously Hulu... I need to go talk to them... there's only one package with Local... and that package is the least impressive.

I don't care about sports at all, but it would be nice to be able to get Local News / Weather through my Roku because our OTA options suck here. We had to finally just give up on it.

First company to get me my local stations gets my money.... ready... GO!

6. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    Have you ever tried NewsON?

They carry the news portions of a lot of local affiliates.

For example, I get to choose either ABC 6 Philly (which is my local area channel) or some stations in Baltimore

When the regular news time slots come on ABC Philly (6am, noon, 5 pm, 11 pm), NewsON streams the live feed. The rest of the day you can choose to re-run the last aired broadcast.

It's an awesome Roku app..and free

7. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Yup tried it but it's not the same. For one thing, it blanks out at any point that isn't showing just local news. Sometimes it can be very frustrating. You'd like the entire show. I'd like the whole local feed not just bits and pieces that are local.

Also in my area, sometimes the feeds are just hard to get, even on News ON. Don't know why. I assume it has to do with the fact that it's pulling from the actual local live streams which kinda suck here.

8. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    hmmmmm....interesting..

Do you get your local cbs affiliate if you use CBS All Access?

I know it gave me my local Philly affiliate and their news

9. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Nope.... basically Richmond, VA is a black hole of doom when it comes to getting any local station through a streaming service.

10. BarbaraW

BarbaraW New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Do you have playon? If you do, you can find the live stream online (during news of course) and Playmark it. When the news is on it will stream it live for you.

LeoIrish likes this.
  11. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    The more I see all of these streaming bundles the more it just looks like cable TV reinventing itself. I currently subscribe to PS Vue's cheapest Package for $29.95. I tried Sling TV before that but they do not offer Fox News or any form of DVR functions. I do not want nor need to pay for Locals as I have a Tivo and get good OTA reception.
    What I want is a Pick 10 or 20 channels for $20 to $30 per month my choice not theirs. I would be Ok with 4 or 5 channel buckets @ $5 each but I understand that some of the Sports channels might not fit that model. I have no problem adding a movie service like Netflix,Starz, HBO or Showtime from time to time but really just do not want to get back to the old big bundle cable model. My current top threshold for all Pay TV programing is no more then $50 per month. I am afraid all of these new OTT bundles will just end up creeping back up nearer the $100 per month price I used to pay for Cable.

Lost in Delaware and LeoIrish like this.
  12. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I wish more people understood how to set a limit on what they are willing to spend. For us, we spend ~$30 per month (Netflix / Amazon / Hulu), and about once per year we subscribe to HBO or Starz (cancel before the month is over so as not incur another monthly fee).

13. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    My cap is $50- $60...that keeps me either equivalent or below the expense of adding cable back (which would be just for 1 room at that rate with Comcast)

Netflix, Sling TV, Hulu, Amazon...that's my lineup right now.

Have tried a ton of others though

14. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    And you will never be able to pick what you want channel by channel ....that's just not how it works. The studios/companies force you to take packages that include their other channels that are less popular, as they sell advertising on those lesser channels too so they want them pushed out.

15. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    I am all too a where of that the industry will fight to the death to keep some sort of bundles necessary. I was just putting out my wish list. I am somewhat concerned that OTA will dry up or become difficult in the future with ATSC 3.0 coming. It will require all new equipment or some sort of adapters to work on our current TV/DVR set ups.
    I think Hulu and other OTT providers are banking on the change to cash in on cordcutter/shavers. The problem is they just want to re-invent a new cable like model and price it the same.

16. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I do not see OTA going away as it is a basic requirement for the broadcast networks / stations to operate. There would have to be some major changes in laws / rules for OTA to go away, or require special equipment outside of an antenna.