Netflix SD plan for $8

Discussion in 'Netflix' started by DustnBones001, May 26, 2016.

1. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    I know we live in a HD era but I'm happy with my Netflix SD plan for $8. On my 720p TV I really can't till much of a difference anyway. Lol I know its crazy but oh well I'm happy to still be paying the traditional $8 a month. Anyone else subscribed to the SD plan or is it just me???

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016

It's been shown in countless studies that a large part of the population can't really tell the difference between SD and HD, but I'm sure forums like this tend to get more videophiles than average Joes, so in this forum most will probably want HD.

I'm sticking with the HD plan...but I can tell you that a lot of times I can't tell the diff on Vudu between a SD movie and a HD movie

4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    We have a larger TV in the Family Room, and you can tell when the stream has an issue and is no longer in HD. But, if we only had a 720P TV, I would consider the SD plan. We do have one (32") - and I can tell the difference between the SD and HD - but it is not as large as the larger TV.

5. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016

I am sure you can tell the difference since you are in this forum to begin with.

However, a lot of "everyday" folks automatically say they can tell the difference between SD and HD based on when the streaming is having issues on Netflix and it downshifts to SD. What they fail to understand is that the difference they are seeing is more do to a degraded stream than to the actual SD vs HD comparison. If the internet stream is having issues, the picture quality is going to drop due to interference, weak signal, compression, etc etc. Whatever caused the HD to drop to SD is also going to degrade the picture in general.

So....just saying that you can't always judge what SD truly looks like based on the picture quality of Netflix when it is having issues.

6. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    95% of my Vudu library is SD and I really can't tell that much of a difference. I have even tried it on my friends TV which is a 1080p 55 inch and the SD on Vudu still looks damn good. Lol maybe I have bad eyes I don't know but when it comes to streaming I can't tell the difference much. With bluray HD is a lil more noticeable than a regular dvd but even then I don't find it a huge amount of a difference.

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  7. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    It's truly amazing how much less expensive SD is, too. I have a lot of SD content also, though I still have about 85% HDX. I will buy HDX when it is on sale, or for a tv series I truly love. BUT.....I also won't pay exorbitant prices for it anymore. I used to buy the Walking Dead season passes for HDX, but it just got too expensive and so last season I bought the SD season pass. My enjoyment wasn't diminished one iota due to it being SD. :)

8. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016

And yeah, I agree BR is a little more noticeable. However, a BR player with a good upconversion makes those DVDs look pretty darn good.

9. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Oh tell me about it lol the HDX prices especially for tv shows are ridicilous on Vudu. I was looking to buy all the seasons of SOA and GOT on there in HD but the prices were so high I believe it was $40 for HD and about $29 SD(Though I just checked SOA seems to be on sale right now but GOT is still expensive). But yeah SD on Vudu looks damn good so unless like you HDX movies are on sale I tend to stick with SD. Especially with the disc to digital service I tend to only buy SD conversions with that unless its a movie I really want in HD.

10. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Yeah my Panasonic BR player really bumps the quality of my DVDs well I sometimes forget I'm watching a regular DVD lol. What I like about a BR player though is I can play both formats and my BR player also has some streaming services built in such as Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon prime so not as much as a Sony but it has all the main streaming apps I use. Also has a USB port so my BR player has become quite the all in one entertainment device :) Only thing I wish it had was an Ethernet port.

11. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016

You can Google "digital", "codes", and whatever the show is, and find a lot of sites that sell the codes for 10-20 bucks for full seasons.

Some people think it is dishonest....I don't see it that way.

If you buy a BluRay/DVD combo and sell off the dvd, no one complains. Yet they complain about people selling off the digital codes from a blu ray / digital combo.. Really no difference in my opinion.

12. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Yeah I don't get why people complain about that. It's just like buying a DVD deciding you don't want it no more and selling it off. Anywho, I will have to look into that hopefully I can pick up some cheap TV seasons.

13. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016

Look out for a message from me ("conversation") with links to some places you might like. All places I have used personally

14. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I didn't even know this was an option... I think I would switch to it if I had my older tv which was 720 but now I'm not sure... hmmm...

15. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    I didn't know it was an option to until about 6 months ago. It only allows one stream at a time so it's probably meant more for single people