Need a solution - wife friendly

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Glen England, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Glen England

Glen England Member

Mar 21, 2015
    This might be covered somewhere, and if so, please point me in the direction.

I'm looking to get an HD antenna. Due to a stupid HOA we live in, they require attic installation of the antenna. I've read quite a bit about OTARD and from the looks of it, they can require attic installation of a TV antenna, just not a dish because obviously that would not work.

I've looked at these: Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2255, but, I do not think those will work in my case. This is what I have at my in a mix. I could add if I had to.

Roku 2 on one. Amazon Fire TV on one, Amazon Fire Stick on one, and Apple TV 1 with Kodi on 2.
    I also have coax and Ethernet to every TV.

I'd like a solution that works somewhat like our current DirecTv Whole-Home-DVR that I'd like to get rid of. Apple TV 1's with Kodi are fast and cheap to add. I'd like for my wife to be able to schedule recordings from the living room or bedroom with the "media server" computer in the basement.

I currently have Netflix, Hulu, PlayOn, and Amazon Prime. I figure with all of this, Kodi, and an HD antenna we should be able to replace most of what we have now.

I've looked at things like HDHomeRun that works with Kodi, but, I don't really want to have a 6 month ROI if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I was also looking for a device similar to your situation, but I have instead been tinkering around with PlayOn. Now that I can cast to the Fire TV & Stick, that is how we are going to go. But, I am not subscribing to CBS All-Access. Instead, I am recording the last episode as it is posted on their site.

I do not know a great amount regarding KODI nor how it affects the ability of an app such as PlayOn to cast to it.

4. Glen England

Glen England Member

Mar 21, 2015
    PlayOn is great, however, for quite a few of the channels, you must have an active provider login. Not much help if you are going to cut the cord.

5. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Hi Glen, welcome back :)

Sounds like your wife may be in the market for a WDTV Live Hub. I have the 1 TB version. Got it a few years ago and it has been awesome with the exception that the interface itself can be a little laggy when trying to do anything other than watch local network media or live TV. i.e. trying to use built in apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I think the benefit for you here is that you can record live TV right to and play that media from, this one set top box. It has built in support for Hauppauge specifically. You can get this WinTV-HVR-955Q dongle that they recommend on the WD website or maybe even try out the dual HD version that would let her record while watching something else.

6. Glen England

Glen England Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I already have a spare PC. My hope was to use something like this if possible:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1196-HVR-1265-Express-Definition/dp/B0014YFC18

Maybe even 2 of them in the same PC to have 4 tuners, and then have the ability to view/record/delete at 2 or 3 set top locations via either existing Roku or Kodi devices we currently have.

This solution would allow the integration of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime without much of a 1. press this, 2. press this, 3. press this, 4. press this, etc. Something I could handle but my wife or daughter would hate.

I may be grasping at straws, but, I am hoping.

Thanks for the helpful hints so far.