My thoughts on Sling TV vs Vue

Discussion in 'Sling TV' started by Lost in Delaware, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    I recently turned off my cable TV with Comcast because I can't stand them as a company and I would like to have as little to do with them as possible.

I decided to give BOTH PS Vue and Sling TV a try.

I went with the top of the line package with Vue, which includes all the local Phila area channels and teams.

With Sling TV I did the 3 mos option to get the free Roku 2.

Using the Vue on a PS3 with a 150 down...
    TV & movie picture quality is usually very clear, but sometimes there is a lag and sometimes there is a lot of "softening" of the picture. There is quite a few times it stops and has to buffer again.
    Sports is atrocious..very bad lag that makes hockey and basketball nerve wracking to watch.
    DVR functionality is very cool.
    Channel selection is great except for History and El Rey being missing.
    Even using a PS3 Multimedia remote, the whole navigation process is a little cumbersome. Having to power up and down the PS3 is also annoying.
    You have to pause the channel you are playing to use the guide otherwise the guide is impossible to navigate through.

Sling TV on a Roku 3 and on a Roku 2 with 150 down...
    The first couple of weeks it had some buffering issues, those have stopped for the most part.
    Picture is very stable..no lags whatsoever. Sports look great. Nice flow.
    Picture image is not as good as Vue when Vue is working at it's peak, but is good enough.
    Guide is quick to navigate, but it is a lot more basic then Vue's.
    On Demand content lacking, no DVR, but you can usually go back and watch any show or movie from the last day or two.
    Obviously, there needs to be more channel options.

When all is said and done...I like Sling TV the best for now.

Sling TV has consistently nice flow to the video and never gets a lag in it, that to me overrides any advantages that Vue may have. Plus, being able to use the Roku for it enables me to bounce around from Netflix, Sling TV, Amazon, ConTV, DMA and Vudu very quickly.

I switched to the multistream package so I could get Fox 29 Phila and FX. I also have the addons for Lifestyle and Hollywood. (TCM and Epix are incredible).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    DustnBones001 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    Oh..one thing Vue also has...the ability to be used as a cable provider for authentication on most network Roku apps. Something Sling is lacking.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  4. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    I'm currently on my free trial with Vue which is set to end on the 29th. So far I have been very impressed with the stream quality of the channels very clear with very little buffering so far, I love the channel selection,cloud dvr and authentication with tv anywhere apps. With that said though there are some significant cons that are holding me back from wanting to fully commit to Vue. I hate the Roku interface very clunky and I hate that you have to exit out of the channel your watching like if it was an app unlike with Sling where you can scroll along the guide with current channel playing in the background. Also when playing a show on the dvr you can't see how much you are fast forwarding it shows no picture you have to pretty much guess when the commercials end. Also I hate that I would only be able to use Vue at home and only to certain devices because you cant use vue on a pc. One of the many benefits I enjoy with cord cutting is being able to use my services whenever I have an internet connection. I get that the tv anywhere apps would help with this but it sucks that I would have to download 20 network apps instead of just being able to login into Vue itself.

As far as Sling I pretty much had it since launch. I have had ups and downs with it. Its limit functionality does bug me I really wish it had a cloud dvr. One thing I love about Sling is being able to use it on all my devices. The buffering issues have stopped since I stopped trying to stream in HD(even though I have no issues streaming in HD with other services but I digress). And I love having live HBO and Cinemax though I wish they offered more than just the main linear feeds. Sling is just nice to have to have some background noise just like it was when I had cable.

When comparing it to Vue Sling wins out for me because of more device support and not being locked to my home location as well as mere convenience. Though I'm strongly considering canceling Hulu and using both so I can get those tv anywhere apps.

5. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    I actually just put my Hulu Plus subscription on hold for 12 weeks while I figure it all out..lol

I gave Vue a second look once they went on Roku, and my 7 day trial for that ends in 2 days. The Roku version of Vue has amazing clarity, but the DVR has been cutting off the last 2 minutes of every show. It's a widespread problem that Sony's forums are buzzing about.

The lack of a guide is troublesome too.

I also don't understand how Sling TV has more on-demand content than Vue. Turner Classic Movies on Sling TV has a very nice selection, while on Vue it has just a couple of fan favorites. There are other channels like that too.

So, despite the beautify picture and smooth operation, the problems with the DVR, the location problems with the potential of locking your acct or removing local channels (which I experienced already even though I never left my home), and the lack of a guide are just too much right now for $45 a month.

I'm sure come football time I will be back on Vue.....

In the meantime...I think I will let both Sling TV and Vue run out and just stick with Netflix for now. I still have Hulu Plus, but like I said I just put it on hold.

6. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    BTW..after I originally started this thread, I wound up having a ton of buffering issues with Sling TV. Even got to the point where I was calling customer support. Sometimes it would kick me out to Roku home page, and sometimes it would lock up for 10 minutes or until I backed out.

7. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I've been using Sling for a while and now that VUE is available everywhere, thinking about trying to VUE trial to see the difference.

I just switched to the Sling Multi-Stream Beta trial. I don't like sports so I like the option of dropping ESPN and others and getting some other channels and having multi-stream support, that's cool.

But I am really waiting to see which one offers live tv for local channels in my area first.

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  8. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    The same happened to me and was even worse because I didn't even get the spinning circle it would just fade to all black screen. It was like if Sling was pissed I was trying vue out or something lol.

9. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    What makes giving up vue hard though is investigation discovery,E,Vh1 Classic. I have missed these channels since I cut the cord 5 years ago.

Lost in Delaware likes this.