My first day of freedom!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Michael Chiu, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Michael Chiu

Michael Chiu New Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Hello everyone,

So I have finally done it. I cut the cord over the weekend, packed up my AT&T U-verse gear, and sent it to the UPS store to be returned.

I live in the Silicon Valley, so fortunately, we have Sonic.com to provide me with Internet access. Including the rental fee for the modem/router, I am paying about $76/month for 50Mbps + phone line. Much better than the $67/mo. I was paying for 24Mbps on U-verse, which is the price I got locked into through a triple-play deal. It was fun being on the phone with the U-verse rep when I cancelled. She kept trying to entice me with deals, and I kept trying to negotiate for something better, but she just couldn't do it.

She first started by giving me the usual BS for a triple-play with U-verse's new 45Mbps line for $130/mo. (for the first 1 year) I first told her that I don't want TV or phone. She countered with the fact that the pricing would be higher just for the Internet line, and it would come out to $109/mo. We kept negotiating different prices, but what she couldn't understand was 1) I don't want TV, 2) Phone is nice to have, but not necessary, and 3) Can you beat $76/mo. for just phone and Internet? She finally got a manager to agree to $89/mo. for phone and Internet, but couldn't got down any lower. Doesn't make sense to me to pay the extra $13/mo. to me then.

I am currently using the Mohu Leaf for OTA TV access, but also have a WatchAir TV antenna sitting around, waiting to be used. I haven't been using it mainly because I am waiting for the apps to show up on other media devices besides smartphones and tablets.

Currently, I have Amazon Prime Video and Netflix to watch shows, but toying around with the idea of the PS Vue or SlingTV. Sling probably makes more sense to me since I don't need the network channels since I get those for free OTA.

On the "dark" side of things, also been experimenting with a cloud-based Plex server...

Anyway... looking forward to seeing how other people are cutting the cords on this forum! :)

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Welcome to the group!

We cut the cord about a year ago, and I cannot imagine going back to cable. We are paying the same for internet ($44.99 for 25mbps), and the speed has been just fine. We use Netflix / Amazon / Hulu as our primary subscriptions. About once a year we subscribe to HBO & Starz to binge what interests us. So far, we have passed on subscribing to anything such as SlingTV as we are ok waiting to watch the cable tier shows (and save money every month). We use PlayOn as our DVR as our OTA is fair - we do not get CW or Fox at all. I should also note I watch a few shows on Crackle, and we make heavy use of the library.

4. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    Michael, take a close look at the first bill. You'll likely find the phone part of that bill is twice what they quoted you. Taxes, fees, etc, mine comes to almost exactly twice.

If you outright ask, "What will my bill be?" they will not give you a direct answer.

5. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    AT&T has been inching my 24mbps Uverse up each year. It's now $69. Maybe I should call and threaten to cancel to get a better rate for a while.