Multiple streams on Hulu?

Discussion in 'Hulu' started by olandir, Mar 15, 2015.

1. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, so on the Hulu website it says that our subscriptions are only good for 1 stream at a time. However I read on here somewhere where someone made seemed to indicate having multiple streams. So, curious, we decided to try it out tonight running two different shows on both our Rokus simultaneously to see what would happen.

It's working just fine.

Does anyone know what the actual limitation is?

IcyBC and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I don't, but if I find out, I'll let you know. I'm glad you asked, because this answers my question from yesterday about what 'streams' actually meant. At least right now, multiple simultaneous streams won't be an issue for me, but it's definitely worth finding out, especially for those with children/teens in the house. I'd also be interested to know if a show that's simultaneously recording would count as another stream.

4. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I've read that the limit is 3 if allowable. The allowable part of that is how the content you're currently watching licensed. Some shows won't allow any other streams to run off the same account simultaneously due to the license agreement Hulu has with the creators.

This is all conjecture though. I read it on a streaming blog somewhere last year. Not sure if it's accurate or not just thought I'd throw it in the mix.

IcyBC and Diane Lane like this.
  5. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks that's way more than what I have heard. Maybe the 'allowable" part has to do with streaming the same show on two different devices at the same time?

Maybe?

We don't do that... never even thought to try.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Glad to read this post and know that you can have multiple streams on Hulu. I didn't really pay attention to this part yet, but with Netflix, if someone is streaming on one device, the rest of us are screwed and have to get on Hulu or YouTube!

7. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    What? Netflix allows at least 2 streams per account (if not 3 or 4). It's always been this way.

Big Dan and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    Yes, I haven't had Netflix in a while, but when I did, 2 or more were allowed to steam at the same time.

9. rightct

rightct Active Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I have tried multiple streams with Hulu, but it didn't work for me, I don't know why. Now that I see that it works for most of the people, both on this forum and whom I have recently asked, I think that I have a certain limitation applied only to myself, haha. :D :D
    No, really now, it's rather odd, if there's someone who could tell me what's actually going on with my subscription, I will thoroughly listen.
    Honestly, the fact that I can't - momentarily - have multiple streams is bothering me the least, as I'm still required to endure ads as a paid user.

10. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    Yup, now the default Netflix plan ($7.99/mo) allows for 2 simultaneous streams. You can buy access to more simultaneous streams for a little extra per month. Pretty cool but you really have to think about how often your household will be simultaneously streaming more than two streams. If not very often it's probably not worth the extra few bucks.

11. olandir

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Just for clarification. Do you have a HuluPlus subscription (paying the monthly fee) or are you just a Hulu member.

Also... what devices are you trying to watch from...

Also... are you trying to watch the same show (I know that's probably a dumb question but thought i would ask)