Mobile Broadband and Streaming

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by sillylucy, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sillylucy

sillylucy Posters

Nov 27, 2013
    How is streaming Netflix and other video sites over a mobile broadband connection? I am thinking of getting a pre-paid broadband wireless stick for a trip to my cousin's cabin out in the middle of nowhere. He doesn't have wi-fi and I will probably use the stick or my T-Mobile hotspot. Is streaming vids too costly?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MegaZero

MegaZero Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Honestly, I think streaming videos on mobile is too costly. Try avoiding it and stream on your tablet (if you have one) or if all else fails, just stream onto your laptop.

Hopefully all goes well!

4. Gadget

Gadget Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I agree with MegaZero, streaming on a mobile plan can quickly eat through your data plan. In my experience using a 4G connection the quality can be okay, but I'd recommend having an unlimited data plan if you were interested in streaming while mobile. Another thing to think about is that the quality of your signal might be low, intermittent or non-existent depending on where you are!

Another idea would be to download the content first and copy it to the device. Sure it requires some thinking ahead, but if there's a show or movie you've been meaning to watch that might be a more affordable option. :)

5. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Streaming on a mobile phone is really expensive if you do not have a data plan. So i would say that it is better to be on a wi fi spot when you have access to an an unlimited data plan.

6. charahome

charahome Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    If you are considering the use of a Hot spot, then it should be a reasonable to assume that you have made sure that the mobile company does have service at the location that you will be in. Just because you have hot spot, it does not guarantee signal in every location. A cabin, may not have 4g either. I work for a telecommunications company. Most persons that own cabins, connect DSL due to the poor quality signal they get from their mobile companies.

If they do provide signal, then like all others stated, make sure that you have an unlimited data plan. 4 movies will eat up through 2g, very quickly.

7. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    If you have a good data plan, preferably unlimited then you may be fine but if you stream too much, you will definitely get throttled.

8. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 23, 2013
    It depends on yoru data plan. It also depends on the app. Some apps want let your stream until you are connected to a wireless network. The only one who doesnt is Hulu.
    There is a way around that with a hacked phone. If you don't have a good data plan I wouldnt stream alot on it. I may strea, youtube,vine or facebook but not a whole tv show or movie

9. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I think streaming videos using the mobile broadband will cost you a lot of money, if you don't have unlimited data usage. T-Mobile does offer 4G LTE unlimited data plan for every customer, but the network signal strength isn't good in my home. I have AT&T, which it has better network coverage in my home area, and I only have 2GB data allowance each month for me. I don't often stream videos on my phone, but I do watch some TV shows on it because most of the shows only take about 30 minutes, which isn't too long considering I only watch one show per day. I would use my home internet to stream videos because I can set it to wifi and use my phone to stream videos that way.