Might be some newbies showing up...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Diane Lane, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    It seems more and more people are interested in the subject of cord cutting, and I've been in a discussion about the subject on another forum, so shared the site there. I read that at least three of the big cable/satellite companies have just increased prices, so there could be in influx of new people looking for information, and I know y'all will be welcoming and helpful. I really appreciate having this forum available as a helpful resource.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm not a newbie as such, its just been a while since I've been on the forum (or any forum, for that matter).

Your right though in the fact that more and more people than ever before are starting to cut the cord, and as they are new to the game, hopefully this forum will continue to grow at the pace it has.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    Ha, @pwarbi No, you're definitely not a newbie. I hadn't been here for a while either, since I got my cable bill down and was really busy with other matters, but they've jacked the bill up yet again, so I'm exploring my options. It seems equipment has changed a lot since the last time I was here, and so I'm reacquainting myself with what's available, and how to best obtain the programming I'm interested in, for the least amount of money.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    The overall theme from people I know, just in the last month or so, is an interest in somehow lowering their costs. The funny part is (at least to me), most of them already subscribe to at least one streaming service (usually Netflix). More often than not, they are usually subscribed to at least two (usually Amazon). As they are already using a DVR to record shows, they are not using Hulu. To me, that means they are most of the way there.

But, as much as they might want to decrease what they pay in some form, they are very reluctant to make any changes which modify how they do things. For whatever reason, it seems to be difficult to accept lowering your monthly costs will also mean changing the way you consume media.

I still think cord-cutting is going to grow, but we have become so ingrained in how we watch our TV, most have a difficult time breaking it. I am still amazed at how quickly we adapted to not having cable. Granted, we are still watching all of our broadcast shows (some are recording as we speak), but our access to the cable tiers are gone. But, we are saving a very good amount of money on an monthly / annual basis, and getting even more value out of our Amazon / Hulu / Netflix subscriptions.

Thoughts?

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I think the concept of cord cutting hasn't helped in the past because people weren't sure what it actually entailed.

You'd mention cutting the cord and they'd look at you as if you've asked them to live in a log cabin with no electricity or running water for the rest of their lives!

It's only when you start to explain that they've already got Netflix and Amazon, possibly another streaming service, and then show them that they are hardly ever watching their cable anyway, that they start to realise then how much they can actually save, and that cutting the cord isn't as dramatic as it sounds.

7. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Haha. That's ME! I already had Netflix and Amazon Prime and still was paying $168/mo for Directv (before the recent price hike). I'm a tech guy so using different apps to get the stations I watch is no biggie. My wife? Not so much. Good news is she never turns on the TV but likes to watch with me. So, it works out. I get almost everything I got before and am saving over $100/mo. I wish I had done this years ago. I just hope the broadband providers don't spoil all this by capping us.

Diane Lane and LeoIrish like this.
  8. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    @njmurvin : Getting a data cap put on my internet (TWC) is my biggest fear. In the fairly short amount of time since we have been fully cut, I have seen a definite increase in our data. Not that this was a surprise – just a cap would really call me issues.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Unlimited broadband is obviously essential if your going to be watching most of your TV via streaming services, but I've streamed pretty much everything for the past couple of years and even though the amount of data ice used as probably quadrupled because of that, I've never had any warnings or been issued with any cap threats so I dint think its that big of a deal.

10. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    If there's a way to cap it, they probably will, once enough people cut the cord and they realize they've lost the battle. Hopefully it will be a long time before that happens, and some other alternative will be available by then. As we've noticed, cable companies aren't exactly on the ball with new trends, other than constantly jacking up their prices and claiming they're offering additional value by tacking on things many don't care about.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm taking it that your not a fan of the cable companies just like the rest of us then!

It does make me wonder why people have put up with their services for so long to be honest, and even now they still continue to do so. I know that people don't like change but surely it's worth it when you see how much your going to be saving every month?

12. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    No, definitely not a fan. I've cut the cord in the past, and plan to do so again soon. The answer to your question varies from person to person. Perhaps they live, like I do, outside of a major metropolitan area, and don't have a lot of options. In some areas I've lived in the past, streaming has been easier than where I currently live. I actually just got back online, because my service cut out randomly for some reason. There aren't a lot of alternatives in many rural areas, and it may be easier for people to make do with what they've got. I have friends who struggle to run businesses in rural areas, because of bandwidth limitations, and they definitely wouldn't be able to cut their satellite television and use streaming. Others aren't in favor of new technology, and feel that if it's not broken, they should just leave it as is, despite increased cable/satellite costs and decreasing customer service. Also, with rising costs of internet service itself, especially with unbundling fees on top, plus the additional costs of streaming services, they may not end up saving as much as they thought they would.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    If your living in an area where your getting poor internet speeds, then you obviously have no choice but to stick with your cable provider as you won't have the ability to stream.

Internet coverage is getting better and better though, so I can see in the future that won't be as big of an issue as it might be at the moment.

14. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    @Diane Lane : Although it somewhat defeats the purpose of streaming, I wonder if you would be able to record a streaming show during the night (less overall usage), and watch it without issue the next day? I have no idea if that is or is not a viable option as I do not know if your bandwith will prevent it from recording smoothly. I have recorded Netflix shows in the past to take on the road with me; so I wonder if this might be a solution for you?

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    @LeoIrish I don't have a bandwidth issue here, and don't have a personal recording device. I do have a DVR, but that will be gone once I cut the cord. I don't have the money to purchase my own DVR right now, so will make do with whatever's available via streaming or live television, if I'm able to get a good signal for that. My friends have a lot of issues where they live out in the country, but they have DirecTV, which I believe is their cheapest option. I'm not sure if they have a way to record. I know they watch a lot of racing, and I believe they use the same system for home and business, which is probably why bandwidth is such an issue for them. Satellite internet costs appear to be astronomical, and also limited.

@pwarbi One 'cable' company came in here about 7 years ago, and the other followed around 3.5 years ago. Each was a big deal, and I don't see any others coming to the area any time soon, so we'll just have to do the best we can with what we've got, at least for now.